Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2014, 05:56 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: "De La Capra" oven build

Our town has pretty strict ordinances about firepits, so it was kind of a no brainer. Also, I thought the fireplace would have better resale value at some point and time.

The concrete roof wasn't as bad as it looked. Getting that piece of stone on top of the fireplace with only two of us was a different story. Felt like the Egyptians building a pyramid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:52 PM
Apprentice

Well, after much deliberation, I finally bit the bullet and ordered a Cowley Canyon cover for my black KJ. I've been looking for a half cover for a long time, but wasn't really happy with the quality of what was out there, and KJ doesn't offer one. Initial impressions: the cover appears very well made, is light and sturdy. Hopefully it will keep the water out of the cooker. Another bonus, the company offered black (as well as green), and there is no writing on it. I was worried there was going to be a BGE logo on it!

I tried to post pictures, but the upload keeps failing. Not sure if it is my computer or what, but this is new....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:32 AM
Apprentice

Made pizza last night, and this morning when I went to put bread in, dome temp was 582 degrees! Normally, morning temps range from 450-500 degrees. Not sure what I did differently except that I let it fire up about 3 hours when I normally do 2, and I threw an extra piece of wood, let it burn down and then closed it down. Was shooting for 500 to bake the bread, so will let it cool down a bit. Anyone else getting similar temps?

Old 07-13-2014, 08:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsmoker View Post
Made pizza last night, and this morning when I went to put bread in, dome temp was 582 degrees! Normally, morning temps range from 450-500 degrees. Not sure what I did differently except that I let it fire up about 3 hours when I normally do 2, and I threw an extra piece of wood, let it burn down and then closed it down. Was shooting for 500 to bake the bread, so will let it cool down a bit. Anyone else getting similar temps?
The longer you heat the oven the deeper the heat enters the bricks. (Heat Saturation) If I have a longer pizza party it may be 2 days before I get to Bread temps.

Tossing wood in as the end of a hot session will extend the heat in my oven as it just turns to charcoal and continues to add heat into the next day.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:35 AM
Apprentice

Thanks Chip. Do you mind me asking what kind of temps you have the next morning? Did you build your own oven?

Old 07-13-2014, 10:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Thanks Chip. Do you mind me asking what kind of temps you have the next morning? Did you build your own oven?
I will often be in the high 700 range the next morning, after a long fire. in the summer it drops off about 125F - 150F per day and +200F in winter. Yes my build is posted at ...

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...ota-16394.html (Chip's 42 in Minnesota)
Attached Thumbnails
"De La Capra" oven build-image.jpeg  

Last edited by mrchipster; 07-13-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:52 AM
Apprentice

That's pretty impressive. Best I've been able to get is 580 next morning, 420 that afternoon after making bread and ~340 following morning.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:52 PM
Apprentice

Made a few more pies last week. Fig, goat cheese and prosciutto. Also had a sausage based pie and a bacon. Surprisingly, the fig was my favorite.
Attached Thumbnails
"De La Capra" oven build-photo-1.jpg   "De La Capra" oven build-photo-2.jpg   "De La Capra" oven build-photo-3.jpg  
the_dr_masuess likes this.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:20 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Made a few more pies last week. Fig, goat cheese and prosciutto. Also had a sausage based pie and a bacon. Surprisingly, the fig was my favorite.
Sounds Delicious!
ncsmoker likes this.

My Build -

SLOB - Salt Lake Oven Builders - For WFO builders in Utah - Join here
Old 08-07-2014, 12:36 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dr_masuess View Post
Sounds Delicious!
Thanks! With as many pies as we've been making, we're really starting to experiment more with different ingredients.