Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 08:12 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: "De La Capra" oven build

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchedup View Post
...again just starting the journey….

I plan on sourcing the materials locally so can I not just get the chimney I want…?
If you build from scratch, yes. If you buy one of their ovens, no. I wanted to swap the double wall with single wall and pay the difference when I purchased the Casa 2G90, but for some reason, FB would not allow that.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:51 PM
Apprentice

So one thing I wanted to build, since FB will not sell one to you, was an insulated door. I bought 1/8" sheet metal from a local supplier, and with some leftover insulation, and a good friend who has about every tool in his shop, came up with this. Has 2" of insulation and we welded a stainless steel nut on the outside to secure the thermometer.

It is not done, still needs the wooden handles, final grinding to fit and paint, but I noticed that the oven is now about 50 degrees hotter in the morning after making pizza.

Sorry about the lack of pictures, but it was around 30 degrees that day and we worked outside. This was taken in his back room before welding. I will try to post a more finished picture soon.
Attached Thumbnails
"De La Capra" oven build-img_0861.jpg   "De La Capra" oven build-img_0862.jpg  
Old 12-09-2013, 03:57 PM
Apprentice

We've not had the time or weather to continue work on the stone veneer, but we have had time to fire it up and make some pizza on a few occasions! Have had 3 different people tell me this is the best pizza they've ever had. I don't disagree!
Attached Thumbnails
"De La Capra" oven build-img_0875.jpg   "De La Capra" oven build-img_0865.jpg   "De La Capra" oven build-img_0858.jpg   "De La Capra" oven build-img_0855.jpg   "De La Capra" oven build-img_0849.jpg  

Old 12-10-2013, 01:32 PM
Apprentice

Here's a fairly recent picture. We now have the Kamado Joe in place, but need to work on getting it set a little lower. Hopefully will be nice this weekend and I'll be able to do that and take an update picture.
Attached Thumbnails
"De La Capra" oven build-img_0832.jpg  
Old 12-13-2013, 06:36 AM
Apprentice

Made a smoked mac and cheese side dish from a recipe on the Kamado Joe youtube page. Smoked with apple and pecan wood, this was epic. Best mac and cheese I ever had.

Hopefully the weather gets better this weekend so we can continue stone veneer work.
Attached Thumbnails
"De La Capra" oven build-img_9500.jpg   "De La Capra" oven build-img_9506.jpg  
Old 12-22-2013, 06:21 PM
Apprentice

Can't believe that after 3+ weeks of work, finally got around to putting in the remaining stone veneer that I picked up a while ago....only to realize that they gave me the wrong stye stone! Same color, just not the stacked stone. This had a more irregular border. We were able to work with it and finish the side of the wood fired oven, but will be returning the rest this week. Sets me back another 2 weeks or so before I can continue work. Can you tell the difference in the top and bottom stone here?
Attached Thumbnails
"De La Capra" oven build-img_9520.jpg  
Old 12-22-2013, 08:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It's pretty subtle. It looks good, why return the product?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:15 AM
Master Builder

It is finely balanced. Not sure what the issue is. There is an argument to be made about form and function I suppose. It looks good to me.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 12-23-2013, 06:13 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I can only wish my stone work will look this irregular...............your guests will be more interested in what is cooking in the oven!

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 12-23-2013, 06:39 AM
Apprentice

Sorry guys, I forgot to mention that in order to get it to match as well as we did, we had to grind the top and bottom of each piece of veneer to remove the irregular edges and closely stack them. It will be too much work to have to do that to every single piece of stone.

A picture is worth a thousand words, here is the link to the canyon ledge stone we have been using, and the country ledge that we got this last time. Hopefully, that shows the difference a little better.

http://www.canyonstone.com/canyon-ledge

http://www.canyonstone.com/country-ledge