Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 03:14 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: "De La Capra" oven build

Few more pictures of the stone veneer going up. Did I mention it is taking a really long time?
Attached Thumbnails
"De La Capra" oven build-img_9414.jpg   "De La Capra" oven build-img_9427.jpg   "De La Capra" oven build-img_9429.jpg   "De La Capra" oven build-img_9434.jpg   "De La Capra" oven build-img_9469.jpg  

Old 11-26-2013, 04:00 PM
Master Builder

Looks very good. You must be pleased with the result and even if it takes time it will be there for a very long time. Congratulations.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forno Food Pics
Old 11-26-2013, 04:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

NCS,
A very beautiful build! I was just wondering if there is an air space or insulation layer between the fire brick in your fireplace and the block lining?

Old 11-26-2013, 05:19 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
NCS,
A very beautiful build! I was just wondering if there is an air space or insulation layer between the fire brick in your fireplace and the block lining?
I have 3-4" of insulation and the rest is filled with vermiculite. So, no air space between the oven and cinder block, but there is plenty of insulation!

Wound up with a lot of left over vermiculite, and I decided to just fill the cavity. I go the idea from another build on a different forum.

Sunday I had the oven door out (building an insulated door....pictures and details to come), was in the 30's all day and the temp went from 550 around 10am to 200 by 6pm.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:10 AM
Apprentice

Here are some pictures of the Kamado Joe side table we are building. Lucky to have a stone center nearby with very talented people! The circular cut looks amazing. If I had to do it again, I would have done it out of 1 slab. It was a PITA to get both pieces to match up and have a slight incline so as to drain water when it rains.
Attached Thumbnails
"De La Capra" oven build-img_9465.jpg   "De La Capra" oven build-img_9472.jpg   "De La Capra" oven build-img_9473.jpg   "De La Capra" oven build-img_9471.jpg   "De La Capra" oven build-img_9476.jpg  

Gulf likes this.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:57 AM
Apprentice

Still taking a break from working on the WFO this week. Here are a few pics of bread we made for Thanksgiving, and the smoked turkey I did on the Kamado Joe.
Attached Thumbnails
"De La Capra" oven build-img_9491.jpg   "De La Capra" oven build-img_9492.jpg   "De La Capra" oven build-img_9493.jpg   "De La Capra" oven build-img_9494.jpg   "De La Capra" oven build-img_9497.jpg  

Old 11-30-2013, 01:53 PM
Serf

Just joined here. I'm looking seriously at one of these. + I'm old and am a home chef.....BGE.

Since you have blazed the trail what are pros/cons of double vs single wall chimney?
Old 12-01-2013, 08:34 AM
Apprentice

Still on a learning curve, but I was told by one of my neighbors this is the best pizza they've ever tasted.
Attached Thumbnails
"De La Capra" oven build-img_9452.jpg   "De La Capra" oven build-img_9456.jpg   "De La Capra" oven build-img_9458.jpg   "De La Capra" oven build-img_9459.jpg  
Old 12-03-2013, 07:23 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchedup View Post
Just joined here. I'm looking seriously at one of these. + I'm old and am a home chef.....BGE.

Since you have blazed the trail what are pros/cons of double vs single wall chimney?
Having the opportunity to examine both in person, I would say the biggest advantage is the insulation. Even with the oven fired at 900 degrees, the exterior of the double wall chimney never rises above 85 degrees. The fit and finish is excellent, and I enjoy the piece of mind from the spark guard. It went together surprisingly easy, just twist and click.

The single wall chimney that comes standard is nowhere near the same quality. Feels flimsy and cheap.

The only con to the double wall would be the $$. Depending on what length pipe you need, it runs around $110 for a 2' and $160 or so for a 3' piece, plus the top and anchor plate.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:01 AM
Serf

...again just starting the journey….

I plan on sourcing the materials locally so can I not just get the chimney I want…?