Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2014, 08:21 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: "De La Capra" oven build

Had a torrential downpour last week here in NC, the most rain I've seen come down in a 2 hour time period. Went to fire up the WFO yesterday, and the interior was extremely damp. Took about 4 hours to get it up temp, and the wood didn't really fire up like it normally does. I think it was all the water in the concrete. This morning, it was around 450, a good 75-100 degrees lower than normal. Never happened before when it rained, but like I mentioned, it was torrential. Anyone else have a similar experience?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:03 PM
Journeyman

Where do you think it got in at?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra
Old 08-18-2014, 02:09 PM
Apprentice

Best I can tell the rain was coming in at such an angle that it either got in through the spark guard and came down the chimney or through the front opening. The landing is tilted at a slight angle to drain water away from the oven, but the floor bricks are level. I'm thinking it hit the floor brick in front of the insulated door and wicked in.

Or perhaps both. The top of the insulated door also had some water, so maybe it dripped down the chimney and onto the door.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:02 PM
Journeyman

Sorry to hear that. I guess it'll take some detective work to figure out how it happened, obviously. Do you have flat roofing on there? Is it possible it got in from up top? We get rain like that over here sometimes, too, so I'll have to guard against it the best I can. Keep us all posted if and when you find the problem. I'm curious about it. Best of luck to you w/it.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra
Old 08-19-2014, 07:59 AM
Apprentice

I have a concrete roof that is sloped backwards to drain water. It may have entered that way, who knows. We got some rain last night, and all seems well. I really think it was more the intensity and volume of water we had.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:58 AM
Journeyman

Probably so. I've seen it mentioned on here before, so when I get done w/mine, I plan to build an exterior door to help keep that driving rain out of the hearth area. I also will give my future sloped roof a good overhang, if I can. As for rain possibly entering through the chimney cap(blowing in sideways), that's something I'll have to think about when the time comes to try and safeguard against if I can. Good luck w/yours.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:51 AM
Apprentice

Haven't posted in a while....but as the weather gets cooler here in North Carolina, we're starting to use the fireplace along with the WFO. So here's a shot of both being put to good use!
Attached Thumbnails
"De La Capra" oven build-img_1673.jpg  

Old 11-04-2014, 01:48 PM
Apprentice

Looking great my friend. With my redesign I'm really leaning to a flat/ slight slope roof and may do a concrete roof like you did. I'm still quite a ways a way but really trying to hammer down my design. If I go forward with concrete. Yours is a shining example that I will be following. I don't know that I would have been able to think up the proper way to do it but your method was great! worried me that your leak was on top but I bet it wasn't the roof.

My Build -

SLOB - Salt Lake Oven Builders - For WFO builders in Utah - Join here
Old 11-05-2014, 07:00 AM
Apprentice

Looking back on it, I don't think it was the roof either. I bet it either came in through the front at a great enough angle to hit the door and soak in through the floor tiles, or came in through the chimney. That was the only time in the last year it's been an issue, and it was the heaviest rain I've seen in years.

There may be a better way to do the roof, but I am happy with the way it turned out. Last thing to do is to paint it and match the rest of the structure.