Old 12-19-2010, 04:40 PM
Peasant

Default Re: cracks and settling

I have gone back and forth about what type. I have given alot of thought. I know that Scott says to use foil between the brick and the cladding... others here on this forum dont do any such thing. Even the ones who choose not to use the blanket do the vermicrete thing without the foil.

If I give it a nice enclosure, I wasnt sure if the vermicrete over the oven (without the use of foil) would give it support and seal off the cracks or not.
That more or less was my question.

There are so many ways that I have seen these built on this forum and others, it leads you to question as much as you learn. I have concerns primarily because I have no idea what I am doing beyond what I have read and the experience I have gained doesnt make me any more knowledgeable.

I apologize if my questions have been asked and answered a hundred times before... it just feels different when talking about my oven project and not John Q. Publics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:01 PM
Master Builder

Your worrying too much....this site recommends a fire-blanket with 4 inches of insulating cladding, no foil. Foil will give you some insulating properties, more accurately, reflective properties and would probably be a good addition. I would go ahead, clad it and start cooking pizza. If it falls apart, then think about re-doing it.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Foil will give you some insulating properties, more accurately, reflective properties and would probably be a good addition.
Foil is useless. It rots out in contact with the corrosive portland, but before it does it will give you a vapor barrier that will greatly slow the drying of your oven. Don't waste your time with foil.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.