Old 02-21-2012, 01:48 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Corner Install with Kitchen/Prep Area

I added this post to my Pompeii build thread, and thought I'd add it on here as well, since this is part of my outdoor kitchen build.

I decided to "mod" my WFG - Wood Fired Grill - that will be incorporated into my outdoor build of the WFO.

Here's a pic of my "mod": I lined the bottom of my grill with firebricks. The idea is that once I fire up my grill, the bricks will soak up the heat from the fire and keep my grill going hotter, longer. That's the idea, anyway.

What do you all think?

Aceves
Attached Thumbnails
Corner Install with Kitchen/Prep Area-grill.jpg  
Old 02-21-2012, 04:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Corner Install with Kitchen/Prep Area

Aceves,

After much experimenting, I found that lining the bottom of your grill with firebricks is inefficient (and creates a huge mess from burned drippings). Why? Because the firebricks take too long to soak up usable heat in a grilling operation. Same thing in a true barbecue configuration where the food is cooked via indirect heat from the fire.

I find firebricks are extremely useful when used to create a firebox within the barbecue and below the grill. I use full bricks that have been split lengthwise to produce a 1 1/4" split and lay them into my charcoal barbecue vertically to create a four-sided wall (firebox) inside one end of my smoker. Depending on what (volume) I'm cooking, I may make a 5" x 19" firebox, other times a 19" x 19" firebox. These walls keep the heat contained and 'focused' upwards in a defined area and eliminate radiant heat from leaking out to overcook the closest food on the other end of the barbecue (salmon, roasts, bruschetta, etc). When my indirectly-cooked food has reached 80-90% of its desired internal temperature I slide it directly over the coals for the last-minute presentation char/grill marks.
John
Attached Thumbnails
Corner Install with Kitchen/Prep Area-chargriller-2.jpg