Old 02-20-2009, 11:51 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Corner Install with Kitchen/Prep Area

Dusty,

What made you go with the slate countertops over another style countertops? I'm trying to figure out what style countertops to put on my backyard kitchen and am taking all suggestions. Did you consider concrete or tile? Pros and cons on these other options? Thanks!!

aceves
Old 02-23-2009, 10:13 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceves View Post
Dusty,
What made you go with the slate countertops over another style countertops?
I had aquired a bunch of them over the years with the idea of doing something with them someday. When countertop time came, I figured that I had better use them - like this must be what I had been saving them for.

I like them but they must not ever be in the sun. They are black and get very hot.

dusty
Old 03-06-2009, 07:14 PM
Serf

That looks great. What size oven are you going to build? I am considering a 40 or 42 inch oven with a corner install but i am still uncertain of the exact block dimensions.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Serf

What are the exterior dimensions of your block walls for the hearth slab?
Old 03-06-2009, 07:20 PM
Serf

I am considering a similar install. What will your oven diameter be and what dimensions did you use for the block wall for the hearth slab? Thanks
Old 03-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Apprentice

Thumbs up Re: Corner Install with Kitchen/Prep Area

Hi mjseaner,

My foundation slab (at the very bottom) for the oven measures 82 x 82 inches. The actual block wall where the hearth slab will be poured measures 70 x 70 inches. My oven will measure 42 inches in diameter. Because it's a corner install, the hearth slab opening, where the landing will go, measures 38 inches.

The countertop and seating areas to the sides are much longer of course (I cannot recall those dimensions at the moment).

Hope this helps.

Feel free to ask any more questions. We're here to help, and the forum members have helped me plenty already!!!

Let us know when you start your build, and post pics!!

aceves
Old 03-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Apprentice

UPDATE!!!

I have poured my hearth!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!! Now I wait for the hearth to dry a bit before I start with my Pompeii dome!! I've decided to go with FB board for the insulation below the oven floor instead of vermicrete. Reasons: convenience; time; cost; and forum members' responses re: reasons for FB board v. vermicrete.

I will post pics of the hearth pour before and after as soon as I get back to CA. My family and I are currently visiting DC.

Take care and talk to you soon. I CAN'T WAIT TO START ON MY DOME!!!

aceves
Old 03-22-2009, 06:06 PM
Journeyman

Hooray! Your dome will be done before you know it! The next part is the really fun part, as you see it all come together and become an oven.

Enjoy your visit to DC, but be aware that we're all waiting for pictures!
Old 04-01-2009, 07:43 PM
Apprentice

Dear FB members!!

As promised, here are the pics of my hearth pour. It is almost fully cured, but I'm going to leave the plywood and 2x4 posts underneath as reinforcement for a month!! I know it's not necessary to leave them in that long, but then again, they don't bother me in my build, so what the hey.

Here are the forms and rebar in place. Please note, it does not look pretty, but then again, I used ALL of my recycled/reclaimed wood to make the forms and did not have to buy any new wood. Nice!!

As you might have noticed in the pictures, I actually formed an inner square compartment underneath the pour with extra blocks I had. The reasons: I did not want a huge open space for storage; I plan to build a metal slider rack for my wood (to make access to firewood easier: just pull it out!!), so making a square compartment the size of the storage opening would help; and I wanted extra reinforcement/strength/footings for the hearth and dome. I just experimented with this design; it is not called for in the Pompeii plans. I'll let you know if it really works.

This design left me with three triangle spaces to either fill or leave with a void. I decided to fill them with concrete. This was accomplished with extra concrete that my brother, L.A., gave me for free, so it ultimately did not cost me anything to come up with this design. Overall I'm very happy with storage design and extra strength.

aceves
Attached Thumbnails
Corner Install with Kitchen/Prep Area-hearth1.jpg   Corner Install with Kitchen/Prep Area-hearth2.jpg   Corner Install with Kitchen/Prep Area-hearth3.jpg  

Last edited by aceves; 04-01-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Apprentice

These are the pics of the completed pour, still wet. It took exactly 33 bags of 60 lbs concrete. And BELIEVE me, it was WAY easy with the used mixer I had previously bought. This machine is SO WORTH IT!! No more back-breaking labor!!! Note to new builders, if you can get a hold of a used concrete mixer at craigslist, a local builder, or elsewhere, GET IT!! It will make life so much easier!!

aceves
Attached Thumbnails
Corner Install with Kitchen/Prep Area-hearth4.jpg   Corner Install with Kitchen/Prep Area-hearth6.jpg