Old 04-02-2013, 07:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Corner Build Help Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkshireknight View Post
Once again Neill, Brilliant!!

I have been out to look at my curing slab this morning, and gave it two tablets and another couple of days of rest before I start phase 2, 'The Block stand'
Your diagrams have been very helpful, I shall indeed cement all blocks and fill with concrete too(Ive tons of gravel mix , its like a quarry outside our gate)

WITH REGARD TO COOKING FLOOR HEIGHT
I read with interest comments saying its best to be higher than lower,
My slab is 10cm above ground to begin with, if I place 3 rows at 21cm another 10 for hearth slab, 5cms for fireboard and 6cm for brick depth gives me a total of 94cm, those with experience of cooking would you go with this or a 4th row would give me 114 cm at cooking floor level? Which is higher than yours Neill?
Im 5' 8" in my cotton socks.

Regards
Paul
Paul,

My oven floor is 44 inches (112 cm) above the ground level in front of the oven and I am 5' 7.25" also in my socks.

I know this is higher than recommended in some posts.

I think the height is almost perfect. No bending over to look in the oven and easy to access the inside.

Chip

Last edited by mrchipster; 04-02-2013 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:10 AM
Apprentice

Thanks for that info Chip,
This afternoon I had the wife measuring from the floor while I held a broom handle at a comfortable level and pretended to turn a burnt pizza, we then swopped to find the
comfortable height for my shorter wife (well, it was her broom !) and I took the average, which turns out to be 111cm, so now I know what height Im looking at, and you Chip have confirmed that, good man! Im off to revise my revised layout.

Cheers
Paul
Old 04-02-2013, 04:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkshireknight View Post
Thanks for that info Chip,
This afternoon I had the wife measuring from the floor while I held a broom handle at a comfortable level and pretended to turn a burnt pizza, we then swopped to find the
comfortable height for my shorter wife (well, it was her broom !) and I took the average, which turns out to be 111cm, so now I know what height Im looking at, and you Chip have confirmed that, good man! Im off to revise my revised layout.

Cheers
Paul

I would set the "comfortable height" for me. We can always set a soap box in there for her to stand on .

Just kidding, do what ever is right for ya'll .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Corner Build Help Needed

Paul,
now that you have your "ideal working heart height" set, work backwards with your materials, hearth brick height, insulation/board thickness, cement thickness and now you can get the height to cut that top block course. A bit fussy but you will appreciate it for the rest of the oven use!
Cheers.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 04-02-2013, 11:49 PM
Master Builder

Paul
Adding to what's already said:..:... If there is anything in front down at the level of your toes (called a kicker board here)..make sure its recessed back from the most forward face of the oven. Then you can get right up close.
Bit like at the bottom of a kitchen bench.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:42 AM
Apprentice

Many thanks for the tips boys,

Its not something I wanted to do, but I will, is to cut the top blocks to the desired height, nice one Neill
As for the 'kickboard' good idea, Damon,(Bacterium great name! will you share how you came by it? Or is it a secret only you and your doctor knows about)
I will wear the shoes that I usually wear when I go out drinking, the ones with with square toes, so I can get closer to the bar.

Its the little things like this that are often overlooked and only through peoples shared experience do we learn and inovate.
Many thanks to all of you. for being on hand with your much valued knowledge

Paul
Old 04-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Master Builder

... Don't even tell my doctor...

Nah got it from when I used to do a bit of hobby cheese making. It's singular and hopefully more the good bacteria.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:11 AM
Apprentice

Ok Damon, your secrets safe with us.

Thats a very interesting hobby!, A neighbour came to visit us when we arrived here and proceeded to demonstrate to us how to make yogourt. 'kilcelo mlyako'( secret recipe by all acounts for the last thousand years!) and funnily enough the secret seemed to be in the home made yeast and a body heat maintained temperature over night.

Cheers Damon
Paul
Old 04-04-2013, 02:24 AM
Apprentice

NEW INFORMATION.

Just in case anyone needs this information in Bulgaria.

In an earlier post, I said I was informed that 40x20x20 blocks were not avialable in Bulgaria.
NOT TRUE.
When I went to the merchants to buy my blocks today, they now tell me they have sourced a supplier so I can have the 40x20x20's.
I will have to wait a week for them but hey can be found here, so thought I'd better put right the earlier information.
My apologies and thanks to Neill who had gone to the trouble of drawing up a plan for the other type of blocks.

Paul
Old 04-04-2013, 04:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Corner Build Help Needed

Hi Paul,
I redid your plan and scale for your 40 x 20 x 20cm blocks. If I remember, you said that your ground level was 10cm below your concrete base so the dimensions are from this point. You will need 4 blocks tall all bar 1cm which can be absorbed in your concrete top. I have also had to remove the mortar joints to stop the blocks from hanging over the edge of your footing.
If it were mine, i would use the 15cm (6" wide )blocks and mortar them and then fill with concrete, especially if they were harder and less brittle/soft blocks.

Cheers.

Neill
Attached Thumbnails
Corner Build Help Needed-screen-shot-2013-04-04-10.33.22  

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway