Old 03-24-2010, 04:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Corner Build Foundation Question

Rick,

I didn't do any calc's either. I simply drew out your dimensions and placed a 59 inch circle in it. I had to place it all the way into the back corner to give you the distance you need for the entry. Pretty crude but it worked for me. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand calc's. If you did do a cantilever in front - that would be a game changer. I don't see where you would have any issues at all. I think your biggest challenge is the set back from the fence. That may be a problem regarding code/neighbors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:12 PM
Laborer

Default Corner Build Foundation Question

Thanks for the help, Les. I've always been an admirer of your build and have copied all your photos to help in the process.

At the end of the day I think I'm gonna do what fxpose had suggested: build my 74" x 51" and then build the stand with a reasonable sized cantelever in the front to handle the biggest (not to exceed 42") WFO I can.

Once I get the stand built I'll know for sure what I can do. For right now, I need to focus on framing, rebaring, and pouring the foundation.

Thanks to all for your help. I'm sure I'll need more later.

Rick
Old 03-26-2010, 02:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sorry, got here a little late! If I hadn't put so much extra vermicrete on the outside of my oven (there's probably 4 inches on top of the two layers of blanket), I'd have had room for an enclosure using the nifty steel studs. You would still have to use the blanket since the insulation would be insufficient on the sides otherwise, but you could fill the rest of the enclosure with loose vermiculite.

As far as 36 vs 42 goes, well, I used to think a bigger oven would have been better, but as I've used it more, really, I can't cook more than two pizzas at a time successfully anyway- and I could fit three in my 36. I just can't manage that many without burning them. And to tell the truth, I usually only do one at a time, since they go so fast! When I am baking lots of bread, I sometimes wish for more space, but I don't actually need it. What I need is to make smaller batches of bread.

The things you don't want to forget are:
-Your entryway needs to be wider at the front than where it hits the oven. It's really hard to get a door to work well if it's not tapered. See Ken's oven for a nice taper.
-No one will be looking inside your oven to see if all your joints are perfect and even and smooth. Trust me- it is NOT worth making yourself miserable to have an immaculate job. Good enough to stand up is just fine.
-If you do an igloo, caulk where your chimney meets your stucco- if you don't, it'll get wet when it rains, and that's BAD.
-Modern insulating materials rule! Yes, they cost money, but they do a better job in less space. As Dmun says "insulate, insulate, insulate".
-Oh, and don't forget to insulate underneath as well!!!!!
-have fun and enjoy the process as well as learning to cook in it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Laborer

36" is = to about 7 sq feet
42" is = to about 9 sq feet
from what i can gather from reading of others is this 42 in oven not likely to fire for just a couple pizza's
takes more wood and longer to heat up
so i modified mine stood the edge cors on end to give me more room next to sides
but i'm building the 36
better to cook more often and have second tought about heating it up
Old 04-15-2010, 10:37 AM
Laborer

Well, I've got my excavation done (overexcavated) and my forms set. We need the rain in CA, but it's slowing me down. I have sandy clay soil (silica) and it takes forever to perc and dry out.

Next thing: compact soil, lay rock base, compact again, install vapor barrier, wire mesh, and rebar. Then look at it a long time. Rain coming on Monday (supposedly). Concrete on the Apr 24th. It'll take about .6 yards; the rest will go inside the garden/seat/retaining wall. I'm ordering a one yard in a pull-behind unit from the local equiment rental yard.

Is a 5 sack mix strong enough or should I get the 6 sack mix?
Attached Thumbnails
Corner Build Foundation Question-021.jpg   Corner Build Foundation Question-022.jpg  
Old 04-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Apprentice

Hi ralogan55,

Great to see someone starting on a corner install! Check out mine when you get a chance! I've included a kitchen area with my build, so it will take me a while. You might be done with your oven build before I'm done with mine!

As for the concrete mix, go for the 6 sack mix. That's what I did with my foundation mix, and it doesn't cost that much more. My pour came out great, and it's held up great! It's always better to have a stronger foundation, especially since you'll be placing a ton of weight on it with the blocks, hearth, brick, oven, etc. You don't want that foundation cracking under all that weight and pressure!! Just my 2 cents.

Post pics! We like to see-compare-praise other builds! By the way, my corner foundation dimensions are 82x82 inches, the actual block wall with the hearth slab is 70x70 inches, and I'm going for a 42 inch oven.

aceves

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/c...area-5008.html (Corner Install with Kitchen/Prep Area)

Last edited by aceves; 04-15-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:17 AM
Laborer

Thanks, aceves for the tips and encouragement.

Your stand will be the same as mine (70" x 70"), but you have a bigger foundation. I was cramped for space on the side next to the apple tree so it got limited to 74" x 74".

Although it would be nice to have a 42" oven that's really more than I need with just the wife and me at home. The 42" would come in handy for parties though, but with the extra wood and heat-up time I think I'm leaning towards a 36" s I can have plenty of room for an enclosue should I go that way. I really won't know until I get the hearth built. Are you planning an igloo or enclosure?
Old 04-17-2010, 12:50 PM
Apprentice

Hi ralogan55,

The reason why the foundation is so large is because I'm planning on putting stone veneer (real stone - a gift from my brother) on the outside of the hearth, so I needed the extra room on the foundation so the overall hearth wouldn't be sticking out past the foundation.

As for the oven, I'm doing an enclosure design. I'm going with a theme, but I'll post more on that later, with pics to show my progress.

A 36" oven is a good size. I just went for the 42" because we're planning on large parties! Keep us posted! I'll keep checking in on your progress. Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

aceves

P.S. I'll be sending you a friend request soon.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:23 PM
Laborer

I'm about ready to start the remesh and rebar if it'll quit raining long enough. But, I have a couple of questions:

(1) I see the Pompeii plans call for a 6 mil vapor barrier between the crushed aggregate and the rebar/remesh array. Is this really necessary? Yes, I know it's cheap to install, but in So Calif we have no soil freezing and my water table is way low. Besides, it'll slow my curing by at least a week. I checked with Stego Industries and they say its more of a "nice to have" than a "need to have" on a small project. Some concrete guys advise against it since it retards the bond between the concrete and the rock base. So, what's the worst that could happen?

(2) All the Pompeii photos show a portable mixer being used for mixing the foundation mud. I have some neighbors telling me that the mud will start to set-up before I ever get done mixing, pouring, and trowling. If that's the case, I gotta buy a tow-behind and rent a 3/4T truck - cha'ching...$300 for all that. Doesn't everyone just use 90# sacks of Quikrete?

Thanks.

Rick