Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Getting Started (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/)
-   -   Composite or Plastic Decking? (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/composite-plastic-decking-5962.html)

Virgil 01-19-2009 11:34 AM

Composite or Plastic Decking?

There are sooooo many brands of Composite and Plastic Decking materials
out there. I was wondering if you had a favorite or one that you think I
absolutely should not use. Right now I am thinking of EverGrain or Azek.
Your experience and advice would be greatly appreciated. (My deck is about
200 feet off of a tributary of the Chesapeak bay so wood is out. My pressure
treated lumber deck is only 10 years old and is totally splintered and beat up.):confused:

ERASMO 01-19-2009 12:06 PM

Re: Composite or Plastic Decking?

Virgil
Somebody was telling me their was a sytem to retrofit over existing pressure treated without having to rip it up but I have not been able to find any info online.

Virgil 01-19-2009 12:08 PM

Thanks, but I am looking forward to the demolition. THAT I know I can do well! :)

Jed 01-19-2009 09:19 PM

Virgil,

I can't comment on the two brands you have listed. I've installed two decks with TREX, and have been happy with the results both times (after the TREX was in place, that stuff is heavy!).

My one issue with the stuff is that the grease splatters from the BBQ grill leave staining on the deck that is really quite permanent...

JED

Virgil 01-20-2009 04:59 AM

What I have read is that the pure plastics stain and mildew less than the composites.

egalecki 01-20-2009 07:15 AM

I have no idea what brand our composite decking is, but it was a fairly early model. It's faded a bit from the southern exposure. Otherwise, it's solid as a rock. No warping and no cracking. We use a pressure washer to clean it up when it needs it.

We use the brand 84 Lumber sells (not sure what it is, but not Trex) on new construction now- it's a different profile from the first varieties- has a sort of grooved bottom and a ridged top, and a more squared profile. It seems to go down better and so far it holds up very well. It doesn't heave nails and screws out. My husband says he won't go back to regular decking- both for sustainability reasons and ease of use!

exceloven 01-20-2009 07:49 AM

Virgil,
I am using Trex on my deck right now and have found it to work very well. One thing I can say is that my experience with Azek is that it shrinks and swells. Azek admits that. So if your deck has any joints Azek is not the product to use. That's my two sense.

Mark

Virgil 01-21-2009 05:34 AM

Thanks Mark.

JAG 01-21-2009 08:36 AM

Virgil,

Before going with non-wood decking check out IPE wood. It is a Brazilian walnut and the most incredible decking I have ever seen. I recently demolished my ailing red cedar deck and replaced it with IPE, patting myself on the back, going with IPE is probably one of the most brilliant things I have done.

The down side is that it is very expensive, carbide tipped tools are absolutely required and it needs to be pre-drilled when installing.

christo 01-21-2009 09:38 AM

I used IPE as the material to finish the benches in my patio project. It is very dense - it sinks in water. Will confirm the expensive comment, but love the way it looks.

A neighbor who is in insurance said that in our area it has the same fire rating as a concrete deck. I'd confirm this with local people if you are looking for a possible break on insurance.

I made several cuts and rips on my table and chop saws - all finished cleanly with no splintering. I also predrilled and piloted all my screw holes.

At the lumber yard where I got my wood - they have a variant with slots cut down each edge for use with hidden metal fasteners that engage with the slot and screw to the joists, elimiinating the need for most pilot hole drilling.

Christo