Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Getting Started (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/)
-   -   CMUs vs. Other Materials for Base walls (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/cmus-vs-other-materials-base-walls-18241.html)

felix 08-17-2012 07:55 AM

CMUs vs. Other Materials for Base walls

1 Attachment(s)
The standard build with the CMUs dry stack for the base look like a good way for a newbie mason to do the work, but if I really want to stretch this project out to be over the next dozen years or so, what does everyone think of using stone for the base walls?

I have access to field stone that I was considering using as the base wall materials. In everyone's experience what might be the pitfalls of this approach? Also, if I go with stone, do I lay it up as a wall by itself (stone only), or do I pour inside walls (inside the stand) at the same time as I pour the hearth pad, using the stones as a form on the outsides? Or maybe there is a another better approach...

It will be a little tricky forming the hearth pad with uneven edges on the base walls, but that will help stretch the project out...

So many choices! Thanks for your thoughts!

Carl

Neil2 08-17-2012 11:17 AM

Re: CMUs vs. Other Materials for Base walls

"or do I pour inside walls (inside the stand) at the same time as I pour the hearth pad,"

I would opt for something like that. With the field stone alone, I would think it may be difficult for someone other than an expert to get a structure that will not shift and move over time.

Gulf 08-17-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felix (Post 136851)
The standard build with the CMUs dry stack for the base look like a good way for a newbie mason to do the work, but if I really want to stretch this project out to be over the next dozen years or so...........

So many choices! Thanks for your thoughts!

Carl

I don't know how old you are but a "dozen years or so" doesn't make much sense to me. I am afraid that in a dozen years somebody might be spoon feeding me crap that wasn't cooked in my oven :eek:. Don't get me wrong. I am enjoying the build, but the fruits of this labor have to be "enjoyed" to make "the build " come full circle :).

Tscarborough 08-17-2012 07:29 PM

If you really want to stretch the project out to 12 years this is what you do:

Make the oven cookable ASAP.

felix 08-17-2012 09:10 PM

Ha! Spoon fed margarita pizza what a mind picture! Ok, I am no spring chicken, so I hear you both, the destination is what we are after here, so maybe I exaggerated a bit about stretching it out but if we were all in a big hurry (and had plenty of cash) we would be buying prefab ovens and having someone else install them!:D

Les 08-17-2012 09:42 PM

Felix,

Why not use CMU's (very inexpensive) and finish w/ the stone (looks great)? I think a builder (janprimus?) used them a few years back and did an awesome job.