Old 08-29-2011, 03:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Clinker brick oven and smokehouse

The fire brick is the fire hearth, with no insulation you will be forever feeding wood into the oven and it probably wont get very hot as all the heat will soak out of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:09 PM
Serf

Under the fire brick is 3 " of mud. Do I need to get a stone for over the fire brick, if so what kind would you suggest?

Pizza-Wine-Smoke meats-Fresh mozzerella
Old 08-29-2011, 03:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mud wont insulate, the fire bricks are fine to cook on.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:23 PM
Serf

confused, steel rebarb, with 3" of mud and fire brick on top is o.k. for the base of your oven?

Old 08-29-2011, 03:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Without insulation between the firebrick and concrete slab the oven will lose heat through the floor, same out the sides where the firebrick touch the outer brick enclosure.

Edit:-
My first oven was built along the same lines and I pulled it down and built a more thermally efficient one after about 2 years.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 08-29-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:37 AM
Serf

Today I am having a piece of soap stone cut (at stone source a local store) for my work area on top of the fire pit (36"x38"). I also am having doors built out of blackiron for the fire pit door (18'x18") and the smokehouse door (72"x24"). The oven is getting its third row of bricks and the front arch looks great.

Any suggestions or comments would be great.
Attached Thumbnails
Clinker brick oven and smokehouse-day-6-front.jpg   Clinker brick oven and smokehouse-day-6-side.jpg  

Old 09-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Serf

day seven and eight: The oven is finished and now being insulated. The smokehouse has a chimney now and is ready for the door. I shot a picture of the vent from the fire pit to the smokehouse.
I picked up my soap stone work top at Stone Source, and it looks great. It is one of the last things to go on. Looking for a simple roof. Tin is what I think I will go with... kind of running low on funds.. any ideas for a reasonable roof?

keep checking back for more progress
Attached Thumbnails
Clinker brick oven and smokehouse-day-7-front.jpg   Clinker brick oven and smokehouse-day-7-oven.jpg   Clinker brick oven and smokehouse-day-7-smokehouse.jpg  

Old 09-24-2011, 05:59 PM
Serf

storm hurt the progress of the oven... set the soap stone and the rough cut granite in a couple of days ago.....
Attached Thumbnails
Clinker brick oven and smokehouse-pizza-toppers-1.jpg   Clinker brick oven and smokehouse-pizza-top-side-view.jpg  

Old 09-28-2011, 01:21 PM
Apprentice

It looks great, and I love the smokehouse incorporated into the structure. I'm thinking of building something similar in place of my current tired old gas grill. I love the look of the clinker bricks, and I like the work surfaces.

Wish I'd seen this post earlier, though... Al (brickie in oz) was absolutely right about the insulation under the oven floor. Setting the bricks in mud won't do much for you. It's not about putting another stone over the bricks, it's about putting something to insulate beneath them so you don't lose heat through the floor. I can't tell from your pictures if you did so; if not, it may take a lot of extra wood to keep it at temperature. You could conceivably add some insulation beneath the slab your oven floor rests on, but it will still take a long time to heat and won't be as efficient as if you had insulated between the slab and the firebrick floor. Still, it would probably be better than no bottom insulation at all.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:54 PM
Serf

what if I put a piece of soap stone ontop of the fire brick, say an inch and a half. do you think this would increase the insulation. i hyave got the oven very hot ( about 700 degrees) , but it was hungry for wood