Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Getting Started (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/)
-   -   chimney failure (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/chimney-failure-16136.html)

ArkansasOven 06-15-2011 07:43 PM

chimney failure

3 Attachment(s)
Hello. I think I may have a problem with my chimney.
The depth of my oven is 37". I have a 17" x 12" opening and a 6" chimney that is built up with firebrick and a 2 foot pipe, 44" altogether.

With a fire in the oven, I have smoke coming out the front of the oven as well as going up the chimney. I think it may be because my front decorative arch is too high and exposes the smoke shelf???

dmun 06-15-2011 08:26 PM

Re: chimney failure

Try temporarily pulling the chimney cap off and see if it makes a difference.

Les 06-15-2011 08:47 PM

What happens when you are up to temp? The last pic looks like pretty clean.

ArkansasOven 06-15-2011 09:02 PM

pulling the chimney cap off does help, but not greatly. When u are up to temp, it still comes out the front, all those pics were taken at the same time, just different angles and natural lighting.

I think I am going to pull the 6" pipe for an 8" tile 3ft instead of two(reforming the base for the improved flow) and add a lower course to the entry arch. The arch will then be below the smoke shelf and it will more than double the volume of draw.

This sound like a good fix?

brickie in oz 06-15-2011 11:44 PM

The inner lintel is too low in comparison to the outer arch, the smoke is wafting out past the arch before it gets the chance to be drawn up the flue.

The reverse would give you excellent draw.

To fix?
Post some more detailed pics of up the flue/arch to help us see how to help with a remedy.

Edit:
Plus it looks like there is only 100mm or so depth to the flue opening.

david s 06-16-2011 12:12 AM

It may be easier just to lengthen the height of the flue pipe to increase draw.

brickie in oz 06-16-2011 12:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the front of mine, the inner brickwork is only 40mm above the outer arch and there is minimal smoke out the door.

I dont think a taller flue will help in your case, you can try it, but the issue with your smoke is with the bottom of the flue.

david s 06-16-2011 04:59 AM

Before you jump in and make drastic changes there may be a couple of other things you could try. If your oven is new it will still be moist even after some firings. New ovens are notorious for being smokey and a bitch to keep the fire going properly. Also try the "top down method" for smoke free start up and also try lighting the fire under the flue which will heat the flue and create draw. Once the fire is going ok then you can push it back into the centre of the oven. Overloading the chamber with fuel is another cause of excessive smoke.

ArkansasOven 06-16-2011 07:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The opening is just a bit over 3x17 inches. The arch looks way to high, so adding a lower course to that isnt a big deal. And the chimney isnt sealed off so going to a larger flue tile instead of the pipe (if I dont use the pipe, I dont pay for it) isnt a big deal either.

Adding a foot to the overall length of the chimney is not something I wanted to do as this thing looks massive already and I am not sure what another foot will do to that look.

Here are the pics.

ArkansasOven 06-16-2011 07:11 AM

As for the newness of the oven??? I had a few fires in it last year, baked a few pies even. Here I am middle summer a year later and having the decorative brick added. Not sure how that rates for new? Not being a smart ass... I just dont know.