Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Getting Started (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/)
-   -   Cedar Heights fireclay (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/cedar-heights-fireclay-19162.html)

Kurtloup 04-01-2013 07:31 PM

Cedar Heights fireclay

Anyone have experience with Cedar Heights brand of fireclay? I came across an online store that is located in town that list that fireclay for sale. Hopefully, it will work for home brew as I need a source of fireclay for the dome on my oven project.

stonecutter 04-01-2013 08:11 PM

Re: Cedar Heights fireclay

I just got a bag on Saturday in Charleston. Looks to be good stuff from what I googled, it's used locally here. Wear a mask when handling it because its contains silicon.

stonecutter 04-01-2013 08:14 PM

MSDS

CEDAR HEIGHTS FIRECLAY

And yes, go ahead and use it for the homemade fire mortar.

Tscarborough 04-01-2013 08:17 PM

So does pretty much everything you touch in the world. Wear a mask because it is ground to a fine particle size and that can be dangerous in the long term, no matter if it is silicon, alumina, dirt, plastic, or black pepper.

stonecutter 04-01-2013 08:22 PM

Yeah, but not everything that has silicon is ground into tiny particles that go airborne like fire clay or dust from saw cutting.

I am a hypocrite though. I usually hold my breath or use prevailing wind for respiratory protection.... Dumb, but I am trying to get better about that. I also use the safety squint when I forget my safety glasses....future Darwin Award winner.

Tscarborough 04-01-2013 08:31 PM

I have been breathing portland, brick dust, and cigarette smoke for 50 years, to say nothing of washing my hands in gasoline, running with scissors and riding motorcycles so it isn't like I am a role model.

stonecutter 04-01-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tscarborough (Post 149303)
I have been breathing portland, brick dust, and cigarette smoke for 50 years, to say nothing of washing my hands in gasoline, running with scissors and riding motorcycles so it isn't like I am a role model.

Yep, but you have been eating great pizza, so there you go.

stonecutter 04-01-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tscarborough (Post 149303)
... to say nothing of washing my hands in gasoline,

Oh, and what better thing to wash off motor oil after repairing bent valves than gas? Fast orange?...maybe..nah.

david s 04-01-2013 10:34 PM

It is the formation of crystalline silica that is the really dangerous one. It is formed when the clay is "fired". Breathing brick dust is many times more dangerous than clay dust which has not been "fired".

Gulf 04-02-2013 05:53 PM

What is the matter with us humans :confused:. We wait until we are "old" to decide that we want to "live forever" :eek:.
Edit: That is my "take" on the quote ( If I knew that I would have lived this damn long, I would have taken better care of myself) :D