Old 05-05-2011, 03:13 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Casa90 Build

Hi Cdubs,

A lot of people do their arches in red brick but, yours looks unique. Whatever you do, it will be YOUR oven, so make it different. I like the look of the arch. You will have a story to tell about it to anyone who sees it and asks questions about the building process.

I may start something with this next statement, but I was told by a highly regarded oriental arts practitioner that "ovens with tan arches cook the best pizza". I don't know for sure if that is true or not but I'd take it as a good omen that you chose tan brick for the arch in the first place. Maybe it is cosmic Karma.....

Cheers,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Laborer

Thank you so much for your comments Mike and Bob. The two of you have been a tremendous help over the last month and could not imagine what I would have done without your help.

I started the enclosure and feel like I have made some pretty good progress. The hardest part by far was figuring out how to cut the front cement board to go around my "unique" arch. As you can see I decided to keep the tan arch and work my colors around that. Even though I feel red brick is classic, I really like the way mine came out.

After completing the majority of the steel frame, I am trying to figure out a way to get more horizontal stregnth. I know the structure will be more rigid once I put all the sides on, but it seems way to flimsy front to back (if that makes sense). Has anyone tried using an X beem to give the structure some more support? Im almost positive that is not the technical term, but I mean crossing a support between two studs.
Attached Thumbnails
Casa90 Build-enclosure-003.jpg   Casa90 Build-enclosure-008.jpg   Casa90 Build-enclosure-002.jpg  

Picasa Photo Library:

Old 05-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Laborer

Here is a view of the electrical work I did to get the lights hooked up. Digging the trench was the worst part, but being able to cook at night and showcase the oven is all worth it.

First picture shows part of the trench where I connected to the conduit. If you go through my pictures you can see that I put in the conduit when I poured my foundation. Finding it was harder the I thought (I should have drawn a map).

Second picture shows the switch that I put in. Im happy I decided to keep it on the side rather then moving it to the back where no one would see it. This makes it more accesible and who really cares if you can see it.

The last picture is a view of the future location of two fixtures. I put in a cheap light until I pick out the permanent ones...probably something small with about 40 watts each.
Attached Thumbnails
Casa90 Build-enclosure-009.jpg   Casa90 Build-enclosure-011.jpg   Casa90 Build-enclosure-012.jpg  

Picasa Photo Library:

Old 05-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Apprentice

I've deleted my "structural comments" here and bowed to azpizzanut's (Bob's) wisdom & experience in the post below (#85).

One thought on your lighting. I was truly amazed at how dark it was in my oven if I didn't have an active fire going (late evening fire starts for next day bakes). I ended up buying a battery powered, flexible neck (20") barbeque light that I can move down and face into the oven when I need light inside. (Initially, I tried a standard light fixture above the oven landing at head height and found that it just blazed itself into my retinas when I flipped the switch. It didn't give me light were I needed it most--on the landing and in the oven.) It would be interesting to see if you could get a flexible neck/LED fixture to allow you to get some light into the oven rather than into your eyes... Just something to think about down the road. (There's always something else...)
)

Photo albums

Last edited by SableSprings; 05-08-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Journeyman

Hi Cdubs,

You actually want some side to side movement in the frame so you can fit the perfectly dimensioned cement board to a less than perfect frame. Plumb a stud at the right or left edge of the frame and put up the cement board. Put in a screw at the corner and then push the frame right or left to align the edge of the cement board to a far stud. You will probably need someone to help. Place a few more screws to hold everything in place. You will be surprised at how ridged the structure becomes after a few boards go on.

Can you get the green colored Hardy cement board screws? They self-tap, self-countersink, hold strongly and are coated to prevent corrosion from damp conditions. I placed them every 10 inches. Try to avoid placing a screw too close to the edge of cement board. Install another piece of metal stud if you need to so the screw has something to bite into.

A strong light above the entrance will cast a shadow into the oven. Find an outdoor rated goose neck lamp.

Consider placing some screws either side of the vertical joint above the key stone. Install a piece of stud there if you have to. Also, consider packing some 5:1 vermicrete around the void behind the arch and cement board joint. Maybe you will find that helpful when applying stucco or thin-set over the front if that is the finish method you choose. Also, tape your joints with the nylon mesh sold on rolls. It will keep cracking to a minimum or prevent it.

Cheers,

Old 06-28-2011, 05:44 PM
Laborer

Hi All,

I wanted to update everyone on my build since it has been so long since my last post. I got held up by a lot of rain and random event that come up during the summer. I was able to get the sides on, start the roof, and get everything ready for stucco. Thing have moved a little slower but it is really starting to look like a finished product. I order the flashing for the chimney and should be able to finish the stucco over the next couple of days.

I may creat a couple of posts just so I can fit all the pictures. Let me know what you think and if you have any questions.

Cdubs
Attached Thumbnails
Casa90 Build-random-014.jpg   Casa90 Build-random-016.jpg   Casa90 Build-random-017.jpg  

Picasa Photo Library:

Old 06-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Laborer

Some more pictures....
Attached Thumbnails
Casa90 Build-random-023.jpg   Casa90 Build-random-029.jpg   Casa90 Build-random-030.jpg  

Picasa Photo Library: