Old 05-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Casa90 Build

When I put on a temporary "first year" winter/spring enclosure over my perlcrete insulated oven, I just made a simple wood frame and then laid metal sheet roofing over the frame top. To my "horror" the metal roofing's underside produced significant condensation drips every morning during our frequent big temp & moisture swings in Oregon. It was kinda like putting on the waterproof coat and going on a good hike...I wasn't wet by rainfall, but my clothes still got pretty wet from perspiration...

I ended up removing the roofing metal sheets, cutting plywood sheets, adding roofing felt and tyvek, and then putting the metal sheets back on as I continued the chimney build. It stopped the condensation, but what a pain for a temporary cover. I stuffed some old fiberglass batts under the cover and over the dome to add some insulation and to see if the drips had stopped. The covered patio's roof and chimney pass through were completed before I removed my temp. cover/structure. In the end I decided to add a final brick facade enclosure for the oven in the covered baking and entertainment den. Those pics are available in my albums via my profile if you haven't seen them before.
Attached Thumbnails
Casa90 Build-p1194302.jpg   Casa90 Build-p1194305.jpg   Casa90 Build-p2054320.jpg   Casa90 Build-p2154344.jpg   Casa90 Build-p6214608.jpg  

)

Photo albums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Laborer

After way too much time trying to figure out how to attach this bottom track I finally figured it out. Bob - you are absolutely right, a hammer drill would solve 95% of the problem, the other 5% would be me actually knowing what to do. I ended up using some Tapcons and a lot of elbow grease.

Mike - I did get a chance to look through all your pictures and I really like what you have done. I am heavily considering putting a roof over my oven area. I think that would give the space such an amazing feel and allow me to utilize it year round....not that the weather is going to stop me.

Here comes my new problem. I think I may have made my studs too long and I'm now worried I wont be able to slant my roof enough. If I plan on having any chimney, my roof will have very little slope. I currently have a 24''chimney and think that adding a foot might be worth it. What is the best way to do that? Does Home Depot sell 1' extensions?

The first few pictures are my attempt at an arch and the rest are the first coarse of stud framing.
Attached Thumbnails
Casa90 Build-arch-enclosure-001.jpg   Casa90 Build-arch-enclosure-003.jpg   Casa90 Build-arch-enclosure-006.jpg   Casa90 Build-arch-enclosure-007.jpg   Casa90 Build-arch-enclosure-008.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Picasa Photo Library:

Old 05-01-2011, 08:10 PM
Journeyman

Hey Cdubs,

Go here for your chimney parts: http://www.northlineexpress.com/sear...order=featured Way cheaper than some other places. Uh-huh !!

That's an interesting "keystone". If it were mine, I'd take it out and place thin brick either side of it and then cut a wedge shaped keystone. Do you have a way to cut a brick thinner to place either side of the key? It certainly looks "rustic" the way it is though. I am suggesting this without knowing what you have planned to finish the arch.

Your steel studs look at least as nice as mine (not saying that mine were great or anything). You might find it helpful to mark the edge of the slab with the center line of the stud for future reference. It makes finding the stud easier when drilling screws to hold the siding. Guess how I know that.

It looks like you will have extensive space around the oven to fill with loose vermiculite or perlite insulation. Make plans now to block some of that "wasted" space so you don't have to fill it with expensive insulation. I used aluminum window screen held down to the slab with Tapcon screws and lath and held in place with black iron wire so it wouldn't bulge. I have about 4-5 inches perlite around oven #1 and same of vermiculite around oven #2. Others have used pieces of cement board wedged in place to keep the fill uniform around the oven without wasting space. Be sure to seal the bottom up good so the insulation doesn't find a place to leak out. "Like sands through the hour glass....."

Cheers,

Old 05-02-2011, 05:00 AM
Laborer

Thanks Bob, that is a lot of great info. If I buy an extension, would the two pei es just fit together or is there another piece I would have to buy?

In regards to my keystone, I do not have a means to cut brick and have been doing all of my work with a hammer and chisel. The arch is not completely done, I will be filling in the gaps to make it a true arch.

Your tip on marking the side of the stand for finding the center of each stud is absolutely genius!!! It is a very simple tip but you just saved me at least an hour. Hopefully a lot of people pick up on that.

For those of you who have built a "house" enclosure, what degree slope have you used for your roof?

Picasa Photo Library:

Old 05-02-2011, 10:32 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdubs View Post
That is a great looking oven Cheesesteak!!! What do you mean it is not water tight?...where is the water coming in from?
Cdubs -

It's weatherproof - no water gets in. I was being a bit sarcastic and tongue-in-cheek about it being "watertight." If I tossed it in the pool - it would take on water . . .

I went with a 3/1 slope on my roof. I built mini-trusses with metal studs, attached some plywood, applied roofing paper, and attached the metal roof. I flashed my chimney and did it in stucco. Put the appropriate drip edge and ridge - and viola - no water intrusion and it even looks like I knew what I was doing . . .
Old 05-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Laborer

Cheesesteak - that is what I thought but it's hard to get sarcasm in writing. Two questions..what is 3/1 slope, and what is a drip edge and ridge?

Picasa Photo Library:

Old 05-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdubs View Post
Cheesesteak - that is what I thought but it's hard to get sarcasm in writing. Two questions..what is 3/1 slope, and what is a drip edge and ridge?
For every 3 feet of horizontal run, the roof goes down 1 foot. It's just a ratio of run/rise.

here's a pic - maybe more easy to understand:

Here's a pic of a drip edge:

The ridge piece is just to make certain the rain / elements don't get passed where your two roof slopes meet at the top:

Old 05-02-2011, 05:42 PM
Journeyman

Hi Cdubs,

The chimney parts screw together same as you put it on the base. You could make a chimney out of 1' pieces if you wanted, just put one on top of the others, etc. I used 6" double wall, stainless, pipe.

Both of my ovens have the same pitch. For every one foot of run there is 5" rise. On oven number two I wanted the ridge to be about ten inches above the dome so I could pour vermiculite to a depth of 4-6" over the oven with a little room to spare. The height of the side walls affected the angle of pitch. After all was done it turned out very close to the pitch of oven number one. I think a lot of oven builders find that circumstance dictates design when they do an enclosure.

I envy those that start with a design and set of plans. All that made my head hurt thinking about it so I went with whatever seemed appropriate at the time. The goal was to enclose the base and oven with metal studs and cement board. After the siding went on there was no turning back to re-do something. By that time though we were rounding second base and headed for third. Not much actual fabrication left to do, just metal roofing, stucco and paint. Each one of those tasks required separate consideration and a new set of much easier "design" challenges.

Be sure to provide openings or another method to ventilate the inside of the enclosure. I made sure the roof panels (cement board) maintained an even gap along the peak so that air could escape. I put circular vent plugs along the side walls near the top so that fresh air could get in and circulate out from under the ridge cap. There are other ways to do it too.

As for a ridge cap we cut a piece of metal roofing 14" wide, enough to cover both sides of the peak and bent it over a piece of wood to give it shape, then screwed it in place over the peak. The only caveat is if you have to conform to local code. Then you have to do whatever they specify. In many locations outdoor ovens are not regulated by code so you may have some latitude to decide on a suitable pitch.

Cheers,

Last edited by azpizzanut; 05-02-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:42 PM
Laborer

Thanks for all the great responses guys. I have been doing a lot of thinking the last couple days (I know that can be very dangerous) and I think I am taking this oven in a different direction. I was planning on using a grey brick to match the new patio, but after a lot of thought I think I am going to do it in red brick. For some reason, when I think of a pizza oven I just see it in red brick. The one thing that is bothering me is that I just spent a whole day making an arch out of tan block...do you think that is too many colors?

Gray patio - red oven - tan arch. I am contemplating taking down the arch but I really like the way it came out. What do you guys think?

Picasa Photo Library:

Last edited by Cdubs; 05-04-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Apprentice

It seems to me that all of our entry dome brickwork is aimed at somehow setting the entry off visually from the rest of the oven. I think your uniquely designed tan arch looks great and is going to do exactly that...from my point of view it's an enhancement to your oven not a "clash of colors". That said, if YOU look at it and say "I wish I would have done it in red brick..." change it now!

You need to look at this oven with pride...not regret. Make a decision, accept it, and then relax!

p.s. I agree with using red brick for the main enclosure...after all, a brick oven should look like a brick oven. A tan arch on a red brick oven sounds pretty classy to me!
)

Photo albums

Last edited by SableSprings; 05-05-2011 at 02:31 PM.