Old 04-29-2011, 01:29 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Casa90 Build

Thanks for all the replies guys. Paul - The smell is actually not that bad. It actually adds a pretty smokey taste to anything I cook in the oven. So far I don't have any complaints about the odor, but I guess I may not want that smokey flavor in everything I cook.

Cheesesteak - When I went to purchase my wood, they gave me two options. They had either air dried or kiln dried wood. From what they explained, it speeds up the "seasoning process" and gives you a better burning wood.

James - I was hoping you would chime in. I actually thought that the smoke could be from the curing process, but couldn't imaging it creating that smoke. I also thought that it might be because my wood still has bark on it. Could that cause this much smoke?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Picasa Photo Library:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:49 PM
Laborer

Another important question for everyone. I am at the place where I need to complete the enclosure, and I am a little apprehensive about using metal studs. A few people have told me that it is very hard to keep it water tight which could lead problems in the future. Using metal studs would make my life a lot easier, but with all the work I have already put in I figured why stop now.

My question is - for those of you who have finished your ovens, what did you end up using for your enclosure and why?

Picasa Photo Library:

Old 04-29-2011, 06:13 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdubs View Post
Another important question for everyone. I am at the place where I need to complete the enclosure, and I am a little apprehensive about using metal studs. A few people have told me that it is very hard to keep it water tight which could lead problems in the future. Using metal studs would make my life a lot easier, but with all the work I have already put in I figured why stop now.

My question is - for those of you who have finished your ovens, what did you end up using for your enclosure and why?
The enclosure for my last oven was framed with metal studs, covered with cement board, a coat of mortar and El Dorado stone. Metal roof, etc. Here it is:

It's not water tight - but it's not a submarine. I had absolutely no problems with water intrusion. Use metal studs - you'll be fine.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:42 PM
Laborer

Cheesesteak
Very nice. Is that stained concrete? I'm installing a white stone countertop and considering a similar stain. Did you put anything on top of the stain. It looks kinda glossy in the pic.

Phil
Old 04-29-2011, 07:36 PM
Laborer

That is a great looking oven Cheesesteak!!! What do you mean it is not water tight?...where is the water coming in from?

Picasa Photo Library:

Old 04-30-2011, 10:33 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Cbuds,

Wet wood is not your friend. It smokes, puts soot on your oven opening and it can put out steam that can cause un-do wear and tear on your cooking floor. As tempting as it can be to burn something convenient, you should always burn aged/cured wood.
James

Old 04-30-2011, 05:02 PM
Laborer

James - I am not using wet wood. It seems that the oven just needed to finish its curing process like we thought. Today I was able to get her to full temp and after about 10 minutes there was no more smoke.

Today was probably one of the most exciting and frustrating days I have had so far on this build. As I just mentioned, I was able to reduce the smoke being produced, I had my first pizza party(it was an absolute smash), but I can not figure out a way to attach the bottom track to my stand.

I have now had 2 people tell me two different methods and both have me wanting to throw something through a window. Something that seems so easy has become way too consuming. Can someone please help me and describe it to someone who is a complete newbie?

Picasa Photo Library:

Old 04-30-2011, 07:28 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdubs View Post
James - I am not using wet wood. It seems that the oven just needed to finish its curing process like we thought. Today I was able to get her to full temp and after about 10 minutes there was no more smoke.

Today was probably one of the most exciting and frustrating days I have had so far on this build. As I just mentioned, I was able to reduce the smoke being produced, I had my first pizza party(it was an absolute smash), but I can not figure out a way to attach the bottom track to my stand.

I have now had 2 people tell me two different methods and both have me wanting to throw something through a window. Something that seems so easy has become way too consuming. Can someone please help me and describe it to someone who is a complete newbie?
What do you mean by "attach the bottom track to my stand?"
Old 04-30-2011, 08:22 PM
Laborer

Sorry I should have been more specific. I mean attach metal track to my oven stand. I am starting my enclosure and using metal studs.

Picasa Photo Library:

Old 04-30-2011, 08:24 PM
Journeyman

Hi Cdubs,

I used a cheap hammer drill from Harbor Freight and concrete screws with a washer. The place you buy the screws will sell the correct carbide tip drill. Just be sure you drill to the correct depth for the screw length. The screws are good for a single use. If you have to remove a screw to drill deeper you should use a fresh screw.

I have two ovens and both are enclosed with cement board and coated with stucco. They are painted with elastomeric masonry paint. My buddy and I combined construction techniques for fastening the tracks. I used treated 2 x 4's with the track on top, screwed through to the concrete, near grade. The idea was to keep the metal track off the concrete if it got wet. On the top slab we didn't use the treated wood and screwed the track directly to the concrete with 2" concrete screws and a washer.

I can't say enough about the Harbor Freight hammer drill. It is a monster when it gets going. A hole might go to depth in a few seconds or it might take half a minute if you hit a stone in the concrete. Still, it keeps chugging along. Buy more than one carbide drill though. We had the frame up and covered with Hardybacker cement board by mid-afternoon. Next day we added ridge cap, flashing around the chimney, put on a coat of thinset and one of stucco. That was the major part of the enclosure. All that remained was little stuff, tile and painting. Look at the link to my build of oven number one. It isn't fancy but it is water tight except for what might blow in past the entrance cover during the worse part of a storm.

Cheers,