Old 04-16-2011, 04:45 AM
Laborer

Smile Re: Casa90 Build

So I started yesterday by building the support frame and making sure the side boards were 100% level. A tip for those who have not started yet, make sure you buy a box of shims. They will really come in handy when your are trying to make sure everything is level.

I will say that yesterday was absolutely the hardest day of the build so far. For some reason I decided that I didn't need to rent a mixer to pour the cores and hearth...BAD IDEA!!!! After a trip to HD to buy a heavy duty wheel barrel (first one broke transporting cinder blocks) I was ready to go. Thankfully my brother was nice enough to help me out which made the day go by a bit quicker. To anyone who may read this before they start their build, go out and rent or buy yourself a mixer....save yourself a hernia and wake up the next day not feeling like a 90 year man with arthritis.

After the pour we began the screening process which was very rewarding. Being able to see everything come together was a great feeling. We finished our day around 9pm est so no pictures of the finished product yet. I'm very excited that the majority of the heavy lifting is over!! Now I will let the hearth sit for a few days before I set up my oven...will also give my back a rest.
Attached Thumbnails
Casa90 Build-stand-day-2-004.jpg   Casa90 Build-stand-day-2-002.jpg   Casa90 Build-stand-day-2-006.jpg   Casa90 Build-stand-day-2-008.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Picasa Photo Library:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:15 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Casa90 Build

With the sun coming up I figured I would go outside and snaps some pictures. The hearth is looking great and 100% level. Can't wait to put the oven together!!!

What do you guys think in regards to keeping the hearth wet? It is actually going to rain today and I'm not sure if I should leave it uncovered or put a tarp over it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Casa90 Build-oven-stand-next-day-002.jpg   Casa90 Build-oven-stand-next-day-001.jpg   Casa90 Build-oven-stand-next-day-005.jpg  

Picasa Photo Library:

Last edited by Cdubs; 04-16-2011 at 05:17 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:59 AM
Laborer

ok I need some help ASAP - I have pretty much memorized the instalation guide for the Casa2g oven and thought I would be ready to put my oven together on Monday when it arrives. I just read another thread that talks about adding a second slab to the hearth that consists of a 5 to one Vermiculite to cement mixure, but that is not in the guide that I have. Is that not a must for Casa owners?

Does anyone have a casa that could chime in?

Picasa Photo Library:

Old 04-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The Casa comes with 2" ceramic fiber board insulation, correct? Then you would not need a vermiculite concrete insulating slab.
The 5-1 vermicrete is the basic insulation recommended in the Pompeii oven plans. Can be replaced by 2" of fiber board insulation.

RT
Old 04-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Laborer

Thanks for the reply RT. I actually just finished buying everything to mix up 3 inches of Vermicrete. Do you think it would have a negative inpact to still do it? I also like the idea of raising the hearth 3 inches.

Picasa Photo Library:

Old 04-17-2011, 03:00 PM
Apprentice

I think adding more insulation is always a good idea. So putting in your 3" of vermicrete under the ceramic board will just give you more "lasting power" on your oven's heat retention. Also having the final hearth height at the proper level for you will prove really valuable to your back. I'm just under 6' and my final hearth surface level is at 41". I can't tell you how nice it is to be able to work the oven standing instead of stooping! (I was fortunate to be able to work with an oven that was a bit too low for me before my build...so I really appreciate having a little more hearth height.)

Note that concrete continues to cure and harden for over a week after it is poured. Keeping it moist will actually increase its strength. Most contractors and masonry people I've talked to will keep a new pour moist and covered for at least one week before working on it. The downside of the vermicrete is that you need to give it some extra drying time before the insulation starts to work for you. That means you'll want to put in that insulation, let it cure, and then let it dry before you cover it totally with the rest of the build.

Hope that helps...
)

Photo albums

Old 04-17-2011, 04:23 PM
Laborer

Thanks Mike - your Dragonfly Den looks fantastic!! I just finished pouring the slab and all looks good right now. The one thing that I'm worried about is the stregnth this layer will have. Like many people on this site I have not worked with vermiculite before and am not sure how will it dry.

My main concern is if the vermiculite layer will be strong enough to withstand the weight of my enclosure. I plan on using the metal studs and finishing it with cultured stone. Will a 3 inch vermiculite/cement slab be able hold that up?
Attached Thumbnails
Casa90 Build-vermiculite-hearth-001.jpg   Casa90 Build-vermiculite-hearth-002.jpg   Casa90 Build-vermiculite-hearth-003.jpg  

Picasa Photo Library:

Old 04-18-2011, 05:10 AM
Laborer

that stuff can be soft. It holds the weight of the oven ok spread out, but I chose not to build the frame on it mainly because I wasn't convincd the anchors woud grab well enough. I left a reveal around the edges for the framing and used tap cons to connect.

PhotoPlog - Hearth and Stand
Old 04-18-2011, 10:48 AM
Apprentice

As Paul noted, the compression strength on the cured vermicrete is very good and should have no problems supporting the weight of your Casa90 kit. Again as Paul noted, the problem with the vermicrete is that it won't hold bolts (very little lateral strength). If you feel the need to bolt the covering structure's frame down or feel that the weight of the facade will be too much, you might find it useful to dig/cut a trench into the vermicrete around the outside of the actual kit perimeter where your covering structure will sit - kind of a reverse moat. That way you can fill the trench with concrete or tie/bolt directly to the concrete slab for anchoring.

The vermicrete on the edges of your slab will also need to be protected since they won't take much wear & tear. I don't know anything about the attachment of the cultured stone...if it needs a solid bolting for the base, the side edges of the vermicrete that may also be an issue for the cultured stone base. Again, you may need to rethink how you'll need to anchor in that stone base. It may be that the top pieces of the cultured stone will tie in and protect the side pieces over that top 3" with no problems - sorry, but I just don't have a clue about cultured stone work.

I was thinking originally that you'd just be pouring a layer of vermicrete under where the oven kit would sit...not over the entire slab. I guess that's why even with kits & great plans, we all end up with unique builds.
)

Photo albums

Old 04-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Laborer

Paul - Thanks for the link to your photoblog. I wish I would have seen them before I poured the vermicrete slab. You would think that after 6+ months of research I would have come across something on this.

Sablesprings - thanks for the insite. I am a little worried about digging a "moat" and messing up the level slab that I have now. What I didn't metion was that I actually went with a 3.5/1 verm to cement mix. I am hoping that will make it strong enough to drill into. The only reason I did this was because the only store that sold Verm hads 3 bags left. I just hope it will hold the bolts I use to put up my metal studs.

On a better note...look what showed up today!! The third picture shows the two layers - I took off the support frame today.

Another question, when I opened the crate today the blanket was on top. After taking it out to look at the oven my arms became very ichy. Is there something I should know about this stuff?
Attached Thumbnails
Casa90 Build-oven-003.jpg   Casa90 Build-oven-001.jpg   Casa90 Build-oven-006.jpg   Casa90 Build-oven-008.jpg  

Picasa Photo Library:

Last edited by Cdubs; 04-18-2011 at 05:32 PM.