Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Getting Started (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/)
-   -   Can I use clay paving bricks for my dome? (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/can-i-use-clay-paving-bricks-20919.html)

Steve_H 07-21-2014 02:37 AM

Can I use clay paving bricks for my dome?

Hi all, inspired by this site I am about to start my first build.
I have a huge pile of paver bricks salaged from my old veranah floor and I was hoping to use some in the construction of my dome.
I wasnt sure if they would stand upto heat so I chucked a couple in my log burner indoors and after a couple of weeks, they havent cracked. Obviously this will save me some considerable money but will they be good enough?
Thanks loads
Steve

nissanneill 07-23-2014 06:01 AM

Re: Can I use clay paving bricks for my dome?

Hi Steve,
if they are fired clay pavers, they will be fine as they are normally fires at around 1200˚C. One of the original wood fired oven builders in Adelaide, Russel Jeavons built numerous ovens and had 2 in commercial operation in Willunga for years without problems.

Cheers.

Neill

hodgey1 07-23-2014 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_H (Post 176947)
Hi all, inspired by this site I am about to start my first build.
I have a huge pile of paver bricks salaged from my old veranah floor. Obviously this will save me some considerable money but will they be good enough?
Thanks loads
Steve

My only comment would be that when looking at the total cost of my project pushing $5k USD, that the cost of the bricks "$350 USD" was one of the cheapest parts of my particular build. If you factor in the man hours it takes to cut and set those bricks properly my advice base on those things says, only use bricks that you are 110% sure will function properly before using them.

Before all the scrap maven/junkyard dogs jump on me, "I love used" look at my build, I used reclaimed slate, barn beams and counter tops. I'm not saying not to use them, but just thoroughly research what you have before hand. Finding out later, like I've read here on the forum , that after the fact you used the wrong product and the end result is your left with a under performing WFO or worse yet one that's not-functioning or dangerous.

cobblerdave 07-23-2014 02:18 PM

G'day Chris
With most firebrick approach $ 4.50 a unit in Aust and with transport costs to anywhere outside the major cities expensive ,firebrick is a major expense.
A NEW pressed fired clay paver can be got for .50c to $1.20 locally now that's a big difference...... And to put it simply, makes the difference between it being able to build an oven or not. I say do it rather than not.
Regards Dave

hodgey1 07-23-2014 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobblerdave (Post 177094)
G'day Chris
With most firebrick approach $ 4.50 a unit in Aust and with transport costs to anywhere outside the major cities expensive ,firebrick is a major expense.
A NEW pressed fired clay paver can be got for .50c to $1.20 locally now that's a big difference...... And to put it simply, makes the difference between it being able to build an oven or not. I say do it rather than not.
Regards Dave

Wow, that's more than double the price here. I can see why you'd want to try to find alternatives. Thanks for the eye opener Dave.

Steve_H 07-24-2014 03:08 AM

Thanks for the replies. I asked the same question in my other post (Australia) but got impatient waiting for it to appear and asked again here! there is now a question over whether my pavers are even clay, they could be concrete so I will carry out some more checks and continue on my other thread.
Thanks again
Steve

oasiscdm 07-24-2014 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobblerdave (Post 177094)
G'day Chris
Regards Dave

Makes my recent purchase of 200 Arch Firebricks for $1.50 each a bargain. Must remember to pick them up Saturday week.

david s 07-24-2014 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nissanneill (Post 177083)
Hi Steve,
if they are fired clay pavers, they will be fine as they are normally fires at around 1200˚C. One of the original wood fired oven builders in Adelaide, Russel Jeavons built numerous ovens and had 2 in commercial operation in Willunga for years without problems.

Cheers.

Neill

They may well be ok, but also they may not. Neither being made of clay and fired to a high temperature are guarantees of suitability. These pavers have been designed to be walked on not used in a kiln or oven. We used to buy creamy solid house bricks from Cooroy years ago that happened to be ok as kiln bricks up to stoneware temps (!300 C). Although many house bricks and pavers are not suitable and are likely to fail, particularly if used for the floor. By all means try them if they're free or cheap, but you have no guarantee of their suitability unless someone else has tested them.

nissanneill 07-25-2014 06:17 AM

Hi again Steve,
I use a simple method to check the suitability of the pavers within an oven by getting a rather large hammer or smaller sledge and giving the brick/paver a solid belt. If it shutters with lots of small bits the I wouldn't use them but if it breaks into a few larger pieces with just a little fines, then they would be suitable.
Russell Jeavens used 2 layers of pavers in his ovens as the top layer was easy to replace after considerable commercial use, I thought to be a good idea. You might see if you can get a copy or borrow his book, titled "Your brick oven, building it & baking in it" ISBN 1 9049443 25 X printed in 2005 by Hyde Park Press in Adelaide.

david s 07-25-2014 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nissanneill (Post 177158)
Hi again Steve,
I use a simple method to check the suitability of the pavers within an oven by getting a rather large hammer or smaller sledge and giving the brick/paver a solid belt. If it shutters with lots of small bits the I wouldn't use them but if it breaks into a few larger pieces with just a little fines, then they would be suitable.
Russell Jeavens used 2 layers of pavers in his ovens as the top layer was easy to replace after considerable commercial use, I thought to be a good idea. You might see if you can get a copy or borrow his book, titled "Your brick oven, building it & baking in it" ISBN 1 9049443 25 X printed in 2005 by Hyde Park Press in Adelaide.

Neill, that may be a reasonable test of the pavers strength, but it does not tell you anything about the pavers thermal shock characteristics. Generally the more vitrified the clay is the stronger it will be and the higher fired it is the more vitrified it will be. But an open clay body, fired to a low temperature has much better thermal shock characteristics than a high fired one even though it will be considerably weaker.