Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Getting Started (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/)
-   -   Building a Pompeii Oven - finally (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/building-pompeii-oven-finally-4501.html)

efleifel 07-06-2008 04:28 PM

Building a Pompeii Oven - finally

Hello,
I've been reading through this forum for a very long time, and loving it. I finally joined the forum, and just started building the Pompeii oven as per FornoBravo literature.
I might not find all the material I need here in Jacksonville, FL, but whatever I do not find I am sure I can buy from FornoBravo.

I uploaded the pictures to my website, which I will share with you after few posts.

Greetings to all.

Eddie

christo 07-06-2008 04:35 PM

Re: Building a Pompeii Oven - finally

Welcome Eddie!!!

Take lots of pictures!!!!

Christo

efleifel 07-06-2008 05:01 PM

Thanks Christo,

Will do. I will be able to share my website soon.

piu tardi

Eddie

efleifel 07-10-2008 06:01 AM

My oven progress:
My Brick Pizza Oven

christo 07-10-2008 07:05 AM

Nice site - please post pics here too if you like - we love them!!

I located my oven around some large trees I cut down to make room for the outdoor kitchen. I still had a lot of large roots to contend with - mostly Axe work but used the chainsaw on a few- almost instant dulling of the chain but there was no way to get through some of those with my axe...

What a great start! You're well on your way!

Christo

efleifel 07-10-2008 09:58 AM

Thanks Christo,
Yes , I had to use the axe too.
I am only home every other weekend, so I am going to try and pour the hearth & the insulation on Saturday the 19th.
I looked at your progress, you are very brave my friend. good work.
I also have a project car sitting in my garage, but it is complete now;1989 red IROC-Z with an LT4 engine (of course it does not look like a 1989 anymore).

piu tardi

Eddie

efleifel 07-10-2008 10:44 AM

How far from the back should I start my dome?

I have a question: how far from the back should i start the dome? I look at page 13 of the plans, and I am confused, I am building a 36 " Tuscan oven, and i will center the dome left and right, and I know about the oven and vent landing. But the chart on page 13 says oven depth interior 36, exterior 45, and then there is 5 " insulation which i thought was part of the 45, am I mistaken?, my stand size is exactly like the plan 63X70.

thx

piu tardi

Eddie

egalecki 07-10-2008 11:20 AM

Your 36 is the inside dimension. Add to that your half brick depth (4.5), your blanket (1 inch or more, depends on you) and how much vermicrete you need (4 inches, usually) plus your finish (stucco or framing). If you're using 1 in. blanket and 4 in. vermicrete, plus stucco, you'll need at least 57 inches diameter on center. Or, framing the answer the way you asked it, it needs to be at least 10 inches in from the back, using those materials. You'll need a little more if you're framing it in to accomodate the metal studs.

Please check my math, as I am the queen of stupid math errors...

efleifel 07-10-2008 11:35 AM

Thanks Elizabeth,
I am no math major either, but : 36 + 4.5 + 1 + 4(vermiculate;i.e.insulation) = 45.5 and let's say 2 inch stucco or concrete board, that is 47.5, the plan on page 13 refers to another 5" insulation, is that in addition to the 4" vermiculite?

piu tardi

Eddie

DrakeRemoray 07-10-2008 12:08 PM

Don't forget that you have the brick, insulation and blanket depth on both sides of the oven so:
36 +
(4.5+1+ 4) x 2 = 19
-----------------
55 inches total...
Plus the enclosure...