Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 05:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Budget Build 36"

Gudday Damon
Sorry there are precious few examples of common brick ovens on the forum. So I've used Worbs oven as an example.
One thing I did notice in those photos is those bricks had been in contact with the ground. I don't think the constant moisture is a good thing.It would make them crumbly.
I would consider how the bricks were stored and in the very least if stored on the ground,only use those that were on the top. You could use any rejects as paving in front of your oven.
Brick commons are not that common up he in Brisbane most of the older housing is hardwood construction. There are some good old pressed commons to be found. For the money though I would go for pressed clay pavers. Although you have to be careful there too as there are a lot of cement pavers about and they are definitely not suitable.

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:25 PM
Laborer

All my bricks are rain wet but only the bottom ground layer will be saturated.

I got the concrete slab done while I was losing my mind over stupid bricks!

Budget Build 36"-dsc03150.jpg

Should I give it a mist with the hose every now and again or just let it do its thing?

Cheers,

Bevan

Last edited by Laspaz; 04-11-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:35 PM
Apprentice

Keep it damp for at least 3 days (a week is better). Concrete builds strength with moisture.
Laspaz likes this.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:19 AM
Serf

Hi guys, don't want to hijack your thread but as another kiwi trying to come to grips with building a pizza oven I have a question about fire proof materials. I built a furnace for melting aluminium and I used a refractory cement I bought from a foundry supply place in Auckland. I was wondering if the same could be used for a pizza oven? It would need to be reinforced so it didnt colapse, so my thought would be to construct with ordinary brick and plaster with refractory cement. Thoughts anyone.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortnstout View Post
Thoughts anyone.
Start your own thread.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:24 AM
Serf

ok thanks anyway
Old 09-14-2013, 04:28 PM
Laborer

Sorry shortnstout, I don't know anything about refractory cements. Sounds like it should work fine though? Good luck!

Can anyone educate me about inner to outer arch reveals? I would like to make it large (like 4" perhaps) Is there any issue with doing this? I assume it may make the chimney a little more complicated but are there any other reasons to keep it only at 1-2"?

Here is the look I am digging:
Budget Build 36"-244713560.jpg

Cheers,

Bevan
Old 09-14-2013, 05:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The revel is nothing more than a stop for the door to sit against, you can make it as big or small as you like, or leave it off.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:45 PM
Laborer

Thanks Al, I guess I will go for the big reveal then

I mixed up a 10 to 1 pumice/cement mix this morning to see if that will be enough to hold together for the floor insulation. I was able to pop it out of the cup I used for a mold after about 20mins.

It is not baking in the sun and after a day or so I will put a brick on top and see if it holds.

Photos for those interested:
Attached Thumbnails
Budget Build 36"-dsc03153.jpg   Budget Build 36"-dsc03151.jpg   Budget Build 36"-dsc03152.jpg  
Old 09-14-2013, 06:49 PM
Laborer

Ok, results are in. I tested the insulation compression with bricks.

This test was done 90 minutes after mixing.

The puck of insulation was about 3" wide by 2" high.

The puck held 3 full bricks for about 2 minutes before it collapsed. the last brick was too much I guess.

Budget Build 36"-dsc03155.jpgBudget Build 36"-dsc03156.jpg

SO based of the very short time period I allowed, do you think the 10/1 ratio is sufficient?

Thanks,

Bevan

Tags
budget build, clay brick, wood stand