Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 04:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Budget Build 36"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laspaz View Post

On a side note, 80% of the oven build on youtube have no floor insulation... Bit scary.

Cheers,

Bevan
Bevan,

Just because others build badly does not mean you should follow you will be much happier with a well insulated oven.

Looking forward to the brick stage of your oven.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:06 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
Bevan,

Just because others build badly does not mean you should follow you will be much happier with a well insulated oven.

Looking forward to the brick stage of your oven.
Oh I totally agree with you Chip. I fully intend to insulate it, I want the best result for my time and money!

Thanks.

Bevan
Old 09-11-2013, 05:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laspaz View Post
On a side note, 80% of the oven build on youtube have no floor insulation... Bit scary.
I guess that makes the forum 80% better as a resource than Youtube!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Bevin
The fact that you bricks do not have a frog has little bearing on their use in your oven. The frog evolved from the identification marks used on bricks. I suppose in those days it would have been important cause they were probably not all standard sizes. It's use today is to save clay.
Your bricks were made in the 1920s so there construction method doesn't really mean much as long as they are solid and not crumbly.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 09-12-2013, 10:31 PM
Laborer

Cheers for the confirmation on the bricks Dave. They will be fine and dandy!

I got the form for the concrete floor slab set up today. Hopefully I will get the concrete mixed tomorrow if the weather is ok.

I also came across pumice which I have decided to use for the insulation of the hearth. It is 7mm size and should do the trick nicely. Also much cheaper than vermiculite/perlite.

I have also included a photo of our current pizza oven seen as I am going to crank it up for Friday night pizza tonight!

Thanks all for the input.

Bevan
Attached Thumbnails
Budget Build 36"-dsc03129.jpg   Budget Build 36"-dsc03134.jpg   Budget Build 36"-dsc03138.jpg   Budget Build 36"-dsc03139.jpg  
Old 09-13-2013, 12:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Interested to hear about that pumice. Of course NZ it would be a natural resource. You can get it size graded! So they obviously use it for something. I'd also be interested to know how efficient an insulator it is my gut feeling is that it would not be as efficient . Which is not a biggy you just need a thicker layer that's all.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Last edited by cobblerdave; 09-13-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Your bricks are what they called Dough Boys, when they fired the bricks in way back when they used to stack a whole bunch together in a kiln then fire it, the bricks in the middle didnt get fired too well an were called Dough Boys, the bricks on the outer edge were fired too well and were called Clinkers.

Both types of bricks were regarded as inferior and sold off as such.

Your bricks will not last well in a pizza oven situation, fine for a fireplace that rarely reach the temps of an oven.
In an oven situation they will start to degrade fairly rapidly.

If you like grit then Bon Appetite.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:08 AM
Laborer

Hmm well that is disappointing. I guess there is no way to test the brick to see what happens.

Stupid solid clay bricks. Ugh

Dave - I did a bit of a search on the forum about pumice and it seems to be a viable substitute for vermiculite. I know they use it here for hydroponic growing media and just as grit for driveways etc. Lots of air pockets for insulation and apparently what was used back in the days for ovens.

Worse case, they add a little variation of grit to my spall brick pizzas...

At least my dogs have a sturdy kennel now!

Bevan
Old 09-13-2013, 03:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Your bricks are what they called Dough Boys, when they fired the bricks in way back when they used to stack a whole bunch together in a kiln then fire it, the bricks in the middle didnt get fired too well an were called Dough Boys, the bricks on the outer edge were fired too well and were called Clinkers.

Both types of bricks were regarded as inferior and sold off as such.

Your bricks will not last well in a pizza oven situation, fine for a fireplace that rarely reach the temps of an oven.
In an oven situation they will start to degrade fairly rapidly.

If you like grit then Bon Appetite.
Gudday brickie
How can you tell ? It would be great to know what to look for.
Round these parts the two best are a little orange brick with sharp edges which are pressed and of course clay pressed pavers . Anything else gets the hammer test. Smash a few in the middle with a lumpy hammer if they break clean in 2 halts great if the break into multiple bits or any crumbling ... Reject
So any help with knowing what to look for is gold
Regards dave.

My Build

My Door

Old 09-13-2013, 04:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The brick on the left is an old Dough Boy, its under fired and doughy and crumbly by nature.

Bricks from the early years were generally under fired, todays bricks are over fired to vitrify them.
The open granular texture of the brick and the addition of large grog from previous dead bricks in the brickyard is a dead give away to being an early brick.
If its hit with a hammer it will more than likely crumble before it breaks clean.

Tags
budget build, clay brick, wood stand