Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 01:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Budget Build 36"

Gudday
2 options other than a cement slab.
1/2 in compressed cement sheet x2 screwed into the stand.
Hebel power panel,3 in airated cement panel with built in Steel re enforcing. It will act as insulation as well but you need to top it with some ceramic board or pearlite/cement to protect the initial heat.
You home hammer test on the commons is a good thing if they crumbled into a number of small pieces I would have rejected them.
Hope something here helps
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Those 1 inch firebrick tiles are a find. If you lay them on a layer of pressed clay pavers it give you a durable cooking surface and 3 inchs of thermal mass.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 09-10-2013, 01:47 AM
Laborer

Hey Dave,

Cheers for the replies.

I hit the bricks with a hammer pretty hard and they broke into 3 pieces with not much dust or crumble. Hopefully they will be sweet.

I will look into the concrete slab alternatives you have provided me with, as it would be great to reduce the weight if possible. More likely I will have to go with concrete because of budget and limited materials here in NZ.

Thanks,

Bevan
Old 09-10-2013, 09:47 AM
Laborer

Looks good and strong -- I always forget how sturdy wood can be when you go beyond just 2x4 size. Most stuff around here is probably twice as strong as it needs to be, you'll probably be perfectly fine with just 1.5 times as strong as it needs to be

In the same vein, I suspect the emphasis on firebrick also tends towards overkill -- your bricks ought to last a very long time. And they look fantastic! Can't wait to see how it turns out!
Old 09-11-2013, 01:15 AM
Laborer

Thanks for the reply. You have given me hope!

I do hope my bricks work out ok. They do have a bit of a clink sound when bashed together. I think worst case I may have some spalling as the oven cools down? Happy for anyone to advise otherwise.

I did manage to pick up a couple of meters of ceramic fiber blanket for $15 today. It must be better having just a little mixed in with the vermiculite, rather than none at all?

Cheers

Bevan
Old 09-11-2013, 03:15 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ya still need diagonal bracing.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Cute kid, and it looks like she's a hard worker too. What were you doing aside from taking pictures?

The stand looks plenty sturdy - but you might want to put more than one bolt in the joints to keep it from racking over time. Single bolt can be a pivot point. Two or more bolts on the diagonal will give some torsional stability.

OR

you could cross brace it from the inside. One piece of lumber on the diagonal on each of the three closed sides bolted to each of the legs should keep it from racking.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:00 PM
Laborer

Hi DeeJay, thanks for your input.

The kid does look cute, although looks can be deceiving! She just seems to "be there" posing whenever the camera comes out

I might try some diagonal lumber on the inside as those single 200mm bolts were difficult to install with a drill bit only 100mm long. Lots of guess work and luck getting the two holes to line up from each side!

I am now considering alternatives for the concrete slab that are cost effective. I haven't found any yet that are cheap and still suitable.

On a side note, 80% of the oven build on youtube have no floor insulation... Bit scary.

Cheers,

Bevan
Old 09-11-2013, 04:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Bevan
If your limited by your drill bits why don't you use coach screws or batten screws.
I would use brick commons myself firebrick is hard to find and expensive as well in Aust. In fact a lot of folk use pressed clay pavers as even brick commons are uncommon in places. Check out QLD Pizza Oven in the search that a brick common oven that 3yrs now, and I have recently heard from Worb and that ovens still going strong.
You could try posting and asking him yourself he could possibly still have a link.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 09-11-2013, 04:43 PM
Laborer

Hey Dave,

Do you reckon I have common bricks?

I don't think they were pressed as they have no frog and some have a very slight convex shape to them. I guess that indicates wire cut or extruded. They are definitely old and from a chimney, and given that I have seen other ovens made from the same bricks, I am just going to go with them.

I will check out the build you mention.

Also the coach screws might be a good solution for the bracing, thanks for that. Although I do already have 100 4" screws in the base, so she is pretty solid!

Thanks Mate!

Bevan

Last edited by Laspaz; 09-11-2013 at 04:45 PM. Reason: adding info

Tags
budget build, clay brick, wood stand