Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 03:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Budget Build 36"

Gudday
Problem with a metal door is isolating the front from the back. I've seen a few that get pretty hot , and of course the handles as well. Those type remain cool.
As for the temp gauge the one I'm using at the moment goes to 400C which is plenty. I tend to find I put the door on when the fire dies down usually reads
350 C. or so. They don't last that well this one due for replacement as its out 50C . This one not permanently mounted it can withdrawn from the door and put to one side,its easy to bend the end of the probe which killed the first one.
Both had 75mm probes and cost about $12 ea not highly accurate but you gives you a good enough indication of temp without removing the door.
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:00 AM
Peasant

Hey Bevan,
Just wanted to say hello to a fellow Kiwi oven builder (well, I'm not a builder yet...still faffing about trying to find materials!)...your oven looks fantastic! I was wondering how those pavers you used for your dome were working? I've found some on trademe that might be suitable, rather than spending $7 a pop on firebricks. Any other hints and suggestions would be valued too...
Cheers,
Zoe
(in Nelson)
Old 03-01-2014, 12:08 PM
Laborer

Hi Zoe,

Yep the fired clay pavers are working out very well. Certainly no regrets using them and would not hesitate to use them again next time. I wouldn't waste your money on expensive firebricks.

I am really happy with how the oven turned out after using it all summer. I have no soot on the front on the oven at all, so I guess the flue arrangement I used works really well. I am happy with the size because it cooks pizzas so quick that I couldn't manage more than 2 or 3 at a time anyway.

Every firing I am making lots of pita bread and larger pitas which we use for wraps. Also often throw a fruit crumble in once it cools down for dessert. I still haven't built a door, but do intend to as I see the benefits of doing so.

I will attach a couple of photos showing the condition of the clay pavers and the oven now that I have put the stucco layers on. I am not quite finished yet, but pretty close.

If you have any further questions I am happy to help.

p.s. avoid the fozmex kitsets on trademe!

Bevan

Last edited by Laspaz; 03-01-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:13 PM
Peasant

Hey Bevan,
Thanks for the info and the photos...your oven looks like a beauty! Well done! I'm thinking about using these tiles if I can get them on trade me:

Bricks x 1000 approx | Trade Me

What do you reckon? I'd be just using them for the arch of the dome (I'm going to go for a square barrel vault sort of oven rather than the pompeii igloo).
Got to dash, will have a look through your build again and see if I have any more questions!
Cheers,
Zoe.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:24 PM
Laborer

I don't see why they wouldn't work, as long as they are clay and not concrete!

Nice and cheap too.

Tags
budget build, clay brick, wood stand