Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 09:00 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Budget Build 36"

Just an update to show chimney rebuild

Budget Build 36"-dsc03215.jpg

Bevan
Old 09-28-2013, 10:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice work. Are they the chimneys of other WFO's over the fence too?
Old 09-28-2013, 10:59 PM
Laborer

Thanks David, I think what you see may be either fence columns or maybe house chimneys. Many houses here have chip heaters for hot water as well as fireplaces. I have chip heater and all our hot water is heated with wood scraps. Good idea from the 1960's, if you are home all day with lots of time.

Cheers,

Bevan
Old 09-29-2013, 12:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laspaz View Post
Thanks David, I think what you see may be either fence columns or maybe house chimneys. Many houses here have chip heaters for hot water as well as fireplaces. I have chip heater and all our hot water is heated with wood scraps. Good idea from the 1960's, if you are home all day with lots of time.

Cheers,

Bevan
We had a house some years ago with a chip heater, great idea if you have lots of chips.....
Problem was that if you put in too many chips the water would boil over and be refilled instantly with cold water there by starting the whole process over, and over, and over again.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:02 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
We had a house some years ago with a chip heater, great idea if you have lots of chips.....
Problem was that if you put in too many chips the water would boil over and be refilled instantly with cold water there by starting the whole process over, and over, and over again.....
Sure is a bit of a chore, but I have loads of time and not much money. I figure if I have to gather firewood to heat the house, then I may as well get some for the chip heater...and now the pizza oven!
Old 09-29-2013, 01:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Sure is a bit of a chore, but I have loads of time and not much money. I figure if I have to gather firewood to heat the house, then I may as well get some for the chip heater...and now the pizza oven!
Now the decisions start.....shower or eat......
Laspaz likes this.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:04 AM
Apprentice

When you put it that way. The decision is obvious...pizza comes first!
Old 09-29-2013, 02:54 PM
Laborer

I am trying to sort out insulation for the dome. I do have 15 sq ft of ceramic blanket to put on the top of the dome, and then I will have to buy vermiculite for the rest. I have found a local supplier who sells 100ltr bags for $54 each. Keeping in mind this is supposed to be a budget build, do you think I can get by with 3 bags?

Cheers,

Bevan
Old 09-29-2013, 03:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I am trying to sort out insulation for the dome. I do have 15 sq ft of ceramic blanket to put on the top of the dome, and then I will have to buy vermiculite for the rest. I have found a local supplier who sells 100ltr bags for $54 each. Keeping in mind this is supposed to be a budget build, do you think I can get by with 3 bags?

Cheers,

Bevan
Make some form of containment in the corners with thin sheet metal so you do not waste material in the corners, also check on your local price of perlite it may be cheaper. aluminum Window screen can also be used to contain vermiculite or perlite and you can even use it to limit the amount use over the dome as it can be easily stapled or wired together to achieve a relatively uniform dome coverage. Used window screen from an outfit that fixes screens might save you some cash.

Using these techniques you should have plenty at 300 Ltr.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:39 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
Make some form of containment in the corners with thin sheet metal so you do not waste material in the corners, also check on your local price of perlite it may be cheaper. aluminum Window screen can also be used to contain vermiculite or perlite and you can even use it to limit the amount use over the dome as it can be easily stapled or wired together to achieve a relatively uniform dome coverage. Used window screen from an outfit that fixes screens might save you some cash.

Using these techniques you should have plenty at 300 Ltr.
Hi Chip,

Thanks for the reply.

Are you referring to an enclosed oven? I am going to go with an igloo style oven.

The window screen is a great idea! Unfortunately in New Zealand, insect screening of windows is very unusual (much to my American Wife's disgust!) and therefore really expensive.

I did find perlite cheaper ($28) but they want $25 PER BAG to send it to me!

Thanks again,

Bevan

Tags
budget build, clay brick, wood stand