Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 10:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Budget Build 36"

Gudday Bevan
It's looking pretty good from the photos. Leave the arch form for a week if possible . You ripping ahead compared to most builds so a little wait is alright.
One thing you might try on the oven entrance is to clear the mortar off with a bucket of water and sponge. You'll find it impossible to remove when dry.
Again great progress
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:05 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Budget Build 36"

You may like to try this approach some cheap cramps and wood/leftover brick cramp the wood to the brick you are trying to lay
Attached Thumbnails
Budget Build 36"-build-photos15.jpg  
Old 09-25-2013, 11:21 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomulla View Post
You may like to try this approach some cheap cramps and wood/leftover brick cramp the wood to the brick you are trying to lay
That is pretty cool! I don't have any cramps on hand unfortunately. Amazing solution, I never could have thought of that

Bevan
Old 09-25-2013, 11:25 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday Bevan
It's looking pretty good from the photos. Leave the arch form for a week if possible . You ripping ahead compared to most builds so a little wait is alright.
One thing you might try on the oven entrance is to clear the mortar off with a bucket of water and sponge. You'll find it impossible to remove when dry.
Again great progress
Regards dave
Thanks Dave,

I whipped back outside and gave the arch a wipe down and now it looks much better.

That's is a shame about the arch form needing to hang around so long, as I wanted to position the valve of the exercise ball in the entry for easy inflation and deflation when the dome is complete.

Oh and should of I mortared the arch to the floor? Because I didn't. Hopefully it will stay put because it is tied into the dome?

Thanks

Bevan

Last edited by Laspaz; 09-26-2013 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Wrong word
Old 09-26-2013, 12:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

You can remove the arch for the next day if you want too.....

Old 09-26-2013, 07:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laspaz View Post
Ha! I guess that would work... everyone says the air is doing the insulation. I wonder what sort of strength would remain after the peanuts melt.

I though the pumice was a lot like a rice crispy treat (rice bubble bar)...

Bevan
My guess is that the resulting layer would be very weak unless the foam peanuts were broken down into tiny pieces. But smaller voids and more cement would reduce the insulation properties. Large voids and a network of Portland would quickly degrade from the heat if it was used as a direct contact insulator.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 09-26-2013, 08:23 AM
Journeyman

I removed my arch form a few hours after mortaring - so that I could clean up the underside of the arch before the mortar went completely hard. I had no issues.

My theory is that the mortar is under compressive load and if the arch is properly built then the mortar is really simply taking the compressive load and not really holding the arch together. The compressive strength of mortar is pretty high within a few hours (of course it gets much higher over the following days and weeks.) The Romans built plenty of arches with no mortar at all and a lot of them are still standing!
Old 09-26-2013, 09:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

With the small arches that these ovens have, pulling the form early isn't going to effect it much. When you get into larger spans and more mass then the centering needs to stay in place longer.

As a point of interest, Roman arch building was very rarely built dry. Even if there was no visible mortar, the voussoirs had joggles filled with lead or cementitous material.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 09-26-2013, 11:14 PM
Laborer

Hey Gang,

I decided to remove the form quickly and get the exercise ball in place, and the n put the form back in place. The arch held, fingers crossed that I haven't made it weaker by messing with it.

Budget Build 36"-dsc03183.jpg

I had quite a bit of trouble with the ball and wouldn't use it next time. The ball needed to be at low pressure to have the shape I wanted. This made it really difficult to keep the bricks at a nice even level (and prevented me from being able to see)

I tried to use full bricks to weigh down the center of the ball making the pressure around the edge where the bricks were being placed higher.

Budget Build 36"-dsc03184.jpg

The result was the top inside of the dome being quite uneven and quite disappointing. I guess that is another benefit of a cut brick vs. a uneven bolster cut one, you can know the inside profile based on the outside somewhat. I don't think this should limit the operation of the oven.

Either way, 266 half pavers later the dome is closed. I ended up with a 17" internal height and I am quite happy about that. I tried to make sure the dome had a more flat final few courses.

Budget Build 36"-dsc03185.jpg
Budget Build 36"-dsc03186.jpg
Budget Build 36"-dsc03187.jpg
Budget Build 36"-dsc03196.jpg

I did have to hammer in the keystone (stones) pretty firmly so I felt reasonably calm about removing the exercise ball right away. Hopefully she holds

Now I supposed to leave it to dry out for a week before starting curing fires right? Can I build the vent and outer arch while I am waiting?

Cheers,

Bevan
Old 09-26-2013, 11:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laspaz View Post
Can I build the vent and outer arch while I am waiting?
You sure can.
Exceedingly quick build..

Tags
budget build, clay brick, wood stand