Old 09-16-2009, 10:41 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Brickwork practice in garden

Along with the oven progress, I've gotten the garden bed walls mostly sorted out. No dirt or plants yet; I'm still fighting off the invasion of the triffids before I do that.
Attached Thumbnails
Brickwork practice in garden-img_8345.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Jamie,
Lookin good so far, Nice Job See if this helps you Spray Weeds With Vinegar? / May 15, 2002 / News from the USDA Agricultural Research Service ts about killing weeds and plants with vinegar If it works, Im sure you can water enough to make the residual vinegar go away before you plant...
Nice work,, keep going,,,
Mark
Old 09-17-2009, 09:05 AM
Apprentice

For the ordinary weeds, that might work; once the garden is planted, I'll definitely give it a try. For the trumpet vines, though, not so much. I'm caught in a bit of a bind, since I want to use the garden for vegetables and don't want to use any too-aggressive long-lingering poison. Initially I tried to go poison-free and just dig up the roots, but they are extensively branching, and when one section is dug up it resprouts from a new node. I've been using roundup, since that does not stay in the soil, but it is difficult. Because the vines store so much energy in their roots, it's more of an ongoing campaign than a single battle; they keep sending up new shoots all over the yard. I've dug up as much of the network of roots as I could, but they're not gone yet. So, I poison new shoots and wait for that to work its way back to the root... lather, rinse, repeat...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

just one more thought,, How about one of those weed burners they sell at harbor freight that hooks up to a propane tank

Mark
Old 09-17-2009, 09:40 AM
Apprentice

My yard is a little small for that. At this point, if you didn't know they were there below the surface, you wouldn't notice them at all. But they're there...

Before long, I'm gonna have nightmares of them coming through the walls...

Old 10-28-2009, 02:43 PM
Apprentice

So the winter garden is transplanted and thriving, so far. The plants are still small but they're getting established quickly. I think we've mostly gotten the weeds under control, and we have the yard pretty much cleaned up. It no longer looks quite so much like a construction zone, which makes my wife quite happy. We cleaned off the brick patio, leveled off the ground between the beds, and laid down some decomposed granite in the rest of the yard... cleaner than dirt, lower maintenance than grass, more comfortable than gravel. Our daughter Mira can now play outside without too much danger, and we can get on with our outdoor living... just in time for winter!

For the winter, we planted cabbage (red and white), kale, bok choy, arugula, lettuce (romaine, red leaf, and buttercrunch), onions (red, white, and yellow), broccoli, cauliflower, swiss chard, and garlic.
Attached Thumbnails
Brickwork practice in garden-img_9452.jpg   Brickwork practice in garden-img_9447.jpg   Brickwork practice in garden-img_9448.jpg  

Old 10-28-2009, 02:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
and laid down some decomposed granite in the rest of the yard
never heard of it ?? is it something you can buy at home desperate ??Sounds nice and the yard looks great

Cheers
Mark
Old 10-28-2009, 03:54 PM
Apprentice

Try rock and gravel or landscaping supply places. It also has the benefit of being cheaper than pea gravel and far, far easier to walk on than rough 1/2 or 3/4 crush. It looks basically like something halfway between sand and gravel, and compacts to something that looks alot like bare dirt but doesn't get muddy. It's alot like the old cinder track surface so many of us remember from high school gym and track.