Old 04-18-2007, 05:13 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Brick type decission to be made

I was just looking over the data sheet for a bag of fireclay which I purchased showing a 27%aluminum, and 60% silicate content. Knowing that fireclays are natural deposits occuring around coal veins does that mean that all of the aluminum was added after the fact?
Old 04-18-2007, 05:24 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Here's what Wikipedia has to say. It sounds like it is naturally occuring, but very deep geologically. Interesting. It makes sense that it would be a nice additive to standard masons mortar to give it some refractory characteristics.

I wonder how it is mined and processed.

Fire clay is a specific kind of clay used in the manufacture of ceramics, especially fire brick. The fire attribution is given for its refractory characteristics. There are two types of fire clay: flint clay and plastic fire clay.
It is resistant to high temperatures, has a fusion point higher than 1,600°C, and therefore it is suitable for lining furnaces, as fire brick, and manufacture of utensils used in the metalworking industries, such as crucibles, saggars, retorts, and glassware. Because of its stability during firing in the kiln, it can be used to make complex items of pottery such as pipes and sanitary ware. Its chemical composition consists of a high percentage of silicon and aluminium oxides, and a low percentage of the oxides of sodium, potassium, and calcium. Unlike conventional brick-making clay, it is mined as a rock at depth, usually found as a seatearth associated with coal measures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:54 PM
Apprentice

Ive been doing quite a bit of experamenting with fireclay as of late and have read that it is so inexpensive that it normally would not be worth mining, ...except that it surrounds coal deposits. The machinery is already there so they take it. There is very little shrinkage during drying and at least what I buy is a bright white color.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

ED,

Just an aside to this. I once worked in a hard-rock silver mine in the Yukon. The silver was of a very high grade, but silver also runs with lead and zinc. It would not have been feasible to mine the area for either one, but the ore contained such high concentrations that it made economic sense to turn it into slurry and ship it. A silver seam might be an eighth of an inch wide, while a zinc or lead seam might be a quarter to a half. The quartz, white and quite brilliant, was treated as slag.

Jim
Old 04-18-2007, 11:10 PM
Master Builder

Hi guys

...first timer from down in Oz. Great site have just joined but have been reading as a guest for a while.

Neil - Great to see another local on.
I've had a copy of Russells book for sometime and over the last 2 months have just started building this style of oven myself. I'm using solid reds for the dome - which I scored for half a carton of beer......thats another story.

I have used a couple medium duty refactory tiles in the oven floor..... to achieve a good cooking surface.

Now I'm not far off finishing my dome and then I can fire it up, see attached pic...... Happy to compare notes with you.

This is a great site and I'm still trolling through the information .....lots to digest

see how I go getting an image up:
Attached Thumbnails
Brick type decission to be made-imgp2302.jpg   Brick type decission to be made-imgp2298.jpg  

Last edited by Bacterium; 04-18-2007 at 11:18 PM. Reason: yay...it worked
Old 04-19-2007, 08:09 AM
Apprentice

Interesting floor. I like the concept - the larger the pieces, the better the surface. This is the best of a modular along with a brick dome.

J W
Old 04-19-2007, 05:20 PM
Master Builder

Thanks jwnorris - I'm not sure how I will go with the red bricks next to the fire tile as far as different expansion rates?

Neil mentioned these local red bricks are generally quite some years old - mine are the "Hallet" brand (this company still exists locally).

I was talking with a very experienced brickie mate recently about the variations we have noticed with solid reds (I was a sparky for 13yrs so spent plenty of time mounting equipment on/in brick walls).

A couple things …….. Some are very crumbly or "sandy" like and are softer & dull looking. We figure we have only seen this sort in the houses 50+yrs old…..unless the bricks were “recycled”.
At the other end of the spectrum (which is what I’m using) the reds are much harder and slightly glossy. Maybe some of the more knowledgeable on here would have an idea why…………I’m guessing this is something around firing temps, silica (or whatever) content and other materials.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

BT,

Not sure this will help or not, but when bricks were actually formed and fired on a building site in the olden days, the kiln was built with rings of brick. The bricks on the inside, closest to the fire, were the hardest and used for exterior applications. The bricks in the outer rings were termed "salmon," because of their lighter color. They were considerably softer and used for interior walls where they may or may not have been plastered. Before the relatively recent advent of high efficiency brick kilns, these differences persisted. So the crumbly ones of a lighter color were probably fired at a lesser temp.

Here in Ontario we also have "marl" bricks made from very dense yellow clay. On the exterior of 19th C houses that used them, they are still in very good shape because the clay made such hard bricks. We also have the red variety, but they're nowhere near as durable. In England, I've seen indigo blue bricks used as capstones and was told that's the color of the clay. Very hard they are too.

The glossy look on some of your bricks has to do with heat, but also with the makeup of the clay used. The more silica in the mix, the more gloss results.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 04-19-2007, 05:49 PM
Master Builder

Ahhh ok, I've seen remants of old wood fired kilns in one of the local quarriy areas.

Looking at some of the old heritage buildings - not the oldest ones though - I've seen bricks more "glossier" than mine......They look that bright its as though someone has sprayed them with a coat of clear(they haven't though). What does to much silica in the brick result in?..... or can't you have "too much"?

Old 04-19-2007, 07:05 PM
Apprentice

This may, or may not be relevent, but they also produced glazed bricks which had a coating of glaze which at temperature turns into glass. Same as pottery.