Old 06-29-2009, 09:25 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Bread vs. Pizza -- Thermal Mass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeRemoray View Post
Dutch, do you find it more difficult to fully load the round oven? It seems like a rectangular oven would be easier due to it's depth. When I bake baguettes, I can load 8 at most since the door is narrow and I cannot go two loaves deep.

Drake
I wouldn't say difficult...just different...just like it was when we started using the barrel vault...when we did these we sort of angled them back towards the sides a bit...we usually only do a dozen or so for the market...sometimes they sell quickly and sometimes they are slow...you have a couple of seconds to straighten them in the oven before they start to puff...having a narrow peel blade helps a lot also...many bread ovens I have seen photos of seem to have the doors almost as wide as the oven chamber to give nearly complete access to the full width of the oven...there was a photo or two posted by Alf that I can remember...somewhere here on the forum...
All the best!
Dutch
Old 06-29-2009, 09:33 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Bread vs. Pizza -- Thermal Mass?

Un
I would recommend laying the floor on edge on top of the best insulation you can get you hands on...our restaurant oven is resting on 2 inches of ceramic fiber board(FornoBravo brand) which rests on 4 inches of vermiculite concrete...the dome is insulated with first ceramic fiber blanket about 2 inches thick then fiberglass and then loose vermiculite...design a smaller oven with more room for insulation...you will be much happier...then all you will have to do is learn your oven...for multiple bakes you just have to give some of the bread later in the day more time to bake and also give the oven chamber a bit more time to recover some of the lost heat
Good luck and all the best!
Dutch