Old 08-17-2007, 06:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Begining stand construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricflo View Post
The only reason I was saying that is because the directions say to make the stand 72 x 84. I cant figure out how to make 16" block into 84". I can make it 88" which should be fine I think? I understand and agree with what your saying. I only need the half block for the wood storage opening.
Okay, cool - I just thought I'd missed something.

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 08-18-2007, 09:46 AM
Journeyman

Took the concrete forms off today. Everything looks ok except for the front right corner, which is where I started shoveling cement. Since is was the first to go down it started to dry/set before the rest of the hearth had been poured (about 1.5-2 hours). Anyway, I thought I had knocked all the dead spaces out of it, but apparently I did not. Is this going to cause a problem? There shouldn't really be any load on that point since it will end up being counter space. Is there anything I need to do? The first pic is of the whole hearth. The second of the problem corner. The last is of what the rest of the hearth looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Begining stand construction-hearthset.jpg   Begining stand construction-hearthdry.jpg   Begining stand construction-hearthreg.jpg  
Old 08-18-2007, 12:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlf5 View Post
I thought I had knocked all the dead spaces out of it, but apparently I did not. Is this going to cause a problem?
Funny you mentioned it because I'm eagerly awaiting removal of my forms to see how it looks. I have been anticipating a similar problem. Seems like it always happens somewhere on a pour (at least on MY pours!).

I'm willing to bet, from your photos, that you're structurally sound. Stucco or whatever you use for a finish should cover it up nicely.

Ken

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlf5 View Post
Took the concrete forms off today. Everything looks ok except for the front right corner, which is where I started shoveling cement.
Well I'm in good company. I ended up with the exact same problem in the exact same place. I was pretty careful about working my hoe into that spot, but to no avail. Thank goodness for stucco!
Attached Thumbnails
Begining stand construction-img_1483.jpg  

Updated!

Old 08-21-2007, 11:15 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Definitely structurally sound. :-)

Ken, is that a cantilever landing in front of the oven?
James

Old 08-22-2007, 10:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Definitely structurally sound. :-)

Ken, is that a cantilever landing in front of the oven?
James
Yes. It'll be brought up to the level of the oven floor with cement board and covered with tile.

Ken

Updated!

Old 08-22-2007, 11:44 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Nice.
James