Old 04-01-2013, 10:45 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Before pulling the trigger, in need of criticism

I started going 45+ degrees today and i can see some triangles between firbricks.
I was wondering if i should fill this holes with the refractory mortar or should i fill them at the end with the castable insulating concrete which is less likely to crumble and fall.
I read somewhere in the forum (or maybe the pompei doc) that we should avoid the concrete bonding with the firebrick, why is that?
Old 04-01-2013, 01:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think they are better filled with dense stuff. Use your mortar and brick chips.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:17 AM
Peasant

Hello guys,
a lot of progress since last time. I have finished the oven and started the curing process. The dome seems to be very well insulated as the temperature is very near ambient, except for two points where the concrete has cracked (1 inch long ,thin like hair) and there i get higher temperatures. The foundation of the oven which is a metal table with 10 cm of insulation concrete on top is where it gets interesting.
It seems that a lot of water from the whole structure is actually pooling at the bottom of the table. It slips through the pores of the concrete and ends up there. I opened a few holes on the metal and i am blowing air inside to get the water out, but it is a long process. In two days i think i got some 10 liters out. This other interesting thing is that the water on the outline of the dome is not clear but it has ash inside. I think what happens is that the vapor exits the bricks and as it gets in contact with the outer insulating concrete it cools down to water and drips to the edges carrying with it some ash particles.
After the first 6 hours of firing the base of the table was amibient temp except for a small patch in the middle ,which is where the water has started pooling. Now there are more patches.
Anyway on after the 30 hours of slow curing i put some extra wood and the dome turned white (so i cooked some pizza anyway) then i stopped feeding it and let it rest. It is 12 hours later now and the oven is at 200 deg celsius without a proper door installed.
Any ideas about the cracks on the dome? I filled the crack as much as possible with a special fiberglass filler used for fireplaces. Should i use some refractory mortar on top of that? Is there any trick to insulate it? I am afraid that it will crack the render after i apply it.
Also the outside of the dome near the oven door gets hotter than the rest. Will the render hold there or will it crack?I want to finish it with mosaic tile on top of the render, as seen in many professional napolitan ovens, but i dont now how to deal with the heat coming out the door.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
I would leave doing any sealing or any repairs for a month at least. Read the instruction on paints and sealers for concrete and renders they say to leave for a month to fully dry and cure
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm not surprised about the water dripping out of your oven. Last year I was firing a new (empty) kiln prior to using it. The recommended schedule was 50 C / hr up to service operating temperature. Water began dripping out from the base at about 300 C and didn't stop until over 400 C It is the water being pushed out by the heat inside, condensing on the steel liner and running down to find its way out from the base somewhere.
Regarding your worry about the mosaic on your outer arch, many oven builders, me included, like to separate the decorative outer arch from the inner parts of the oven, partly so it does not get so hot. If your tiles get so hot that the y fall of you just have to re-glue them.
Regarding the cracks on the dome, forget them. Most ovens have some cracks, it won' affect the performance and probably won't get worse. Most attempts to fix them are unsuccessful anyway.

Last edited by david s; 04-14-2013 at 02:14 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:39 AM
Peasant

The good thing is that the summer is almost here so i have got a good 5 months of hi temperarures to help me in the process.I am just worried about all the water in contact with the iron table. I have painted the metal with rust resistant primer but too much water for too long is not easy to handle.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:12 AM
Peasant

Finished!!!
I want to thank every one here for their help and especially David S.