Old 03-23-2013, 10:18 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Before pulling the trigger, in need of criticism

The most famous ovens in the world are hand built in Naples Italy. The use Tuff for "insulation" and pour heat out in every direction. In a commercial setting it doesn't really matter because the oven is always hot. In a home setting where you fire infrequently it is far from optimal. There is pretty well known guy online who has one of these ovens at his home. He generally fires for 10 hours to cook Neapolitan pizza.

Like I already stated the numbers don't lie. You are free to use whatever you want, but take a look around this forum and read ALL the threads from people who have built ovens without insulation under them trying to fix their oven because it isn't working. I'd hate to see you in that situation when you've already been warned about it. If you build as planned your oven will be uninsulated under the hearth. You might as well save your money and build on a bed of sand, it has the same thermal conductivity.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Again, engineers know what they are about, but they are often focused on one set of design criteria, while the desired goal, which is only slightly different, makes a huge difference in the end.

As an example, in unitary masonry construction there are very few engineers who specialize. Usually concrete engineers do the work, since both concrete and masonry share portland cement, aggregate, and often reinforcing steel.

The reality is that concrete engineers make crappy masonry engineers because their focus is on strength, compressive strength to be exact, which is not the over riding concern of mortar and reinforced or un-reinforced unitary masonry designs.

If you are designing a commercial kiln, then you do not use the same insulation criteria that you do for an intermittent use home oven.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:28 AM
Peasant

Guys my next question is about the cooking floor. I have around 30 firebricks wich are thin: 22x11x3 cm (8.6x4.5x1.2 inches). I get these for cheap from a hardware superstore chain. I was thinking of making my floor with this but in two layers so i can get the 2.5 inches thickness. My idea is to make cross like pattern of firebrick as a first level and fill the circle with insualting concrete instead of cutting bricks for this level. The top level ofcourse will have common pattern use here and will be made by firebrick only, with the cuts required.The floor will be 2.5 inch thick in the center , on the two sides and the back. But onlt 1.2 inch thick on the edge of the 4 corners. Is it a terrible idea?
Old 03-24-2013, 12:37 PM
Apprentice

My first peice of advice is, don't go "cheap" on your cooking floor. That is where all the action is;

But if you must use these 1/2 bricks (they are called "splits" here in the US); Constructing a floor that does not have a uniform thickness of firebrick will result in a floor that does hold heat uniformally. The thicker sections will take a little longer to heat up because of the extra thermal mass, but the thinner sections will cool down more quickly due to lack of same. Your current plan is to place them in the shape of a cross (and maybe that is ideal) but I would arrange them to optimize the shape/size of your cooking surface.

In time you may identify some advantage to this (I have found that varied temperatures on the surface can be usefull if you are cooking more than one pizza at a time) but it will take some practice to learn how your own unique oven performs.

Reagards,
AT
Old 03-24-2013, 01:15 PM
Peasant

You reckon that having two layers of firebrick is less efficient than one of the same total size? I expect to have only some very small patches without two layer firebrick near the perimeter of the dome (to avoid cutting the fillers two times).
Old 03-24-2013, 01:20 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by giol View Post
You reckon that having two layers of firebrick is less efficient than one of the same total size? I expect to have only some very small patches without two layer firebrick near the perimeter of the dome (to avoid cutting the fillers two times).
Not at all. I was refering to the layers that would be only 1/2 thickness. If those will be limited to the perimeter of your floor, you've got nothing to worry about.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Actually, 2 layers will always be less efficient than one unless you get 100% perfect mortar coverage between them. Heat transference.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:17 PM
Peasant

I was thinking not to mortar them at all. Just stack them and fit them in the dome.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:18 AM
Peasant

Now a question about the arch. In the fornobravo.com front page, the photograph that has a subtitle "residential oven" depicts an oven with an entry arch i really like. Do you think i can do that with castable?
Old 03-25-2013, 01:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by giol View Post
Now a question about the arch. In the fornobravo.com front page, the photograph that has a subtitle "residential oven" depicts an oven with an entry arch i really like. Do you think i can do that with castable?
No.......................

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.