Old 05-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Ash slot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringJim View Post
I was actually thinking about having a removable brick that was flush with the oven floor,!
I thought about that also, but how would you pull the brick to use it If you put a handle on it, it will be in the way. If you recess the handle it will probably fill up with things I don't want to touch barehanded. If the recess is big enough so that you can use a glove, it would have to involve more than one brick.
I think it's a great idea, but the rule of least amount of effort for maximum usefullness would seem to exclude building one.

Bruce
Old 05-30-2008, 02:09 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Also, it can be a pretty ash-y, flour-y, dirty spot. Any gaps would get full of ash and gunk -- and could be difficult to keep clean.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:55 AM
Apprentice

The only reason I asked this question originally is that I do anticipate doing a fair bit of retained heat baking, and I thought the ash slot would make it easier to deal with the hot coals. If I were only going to be raking cold ashes, I don't think I'd fret about it.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:20 PM
Master Builder

I have to dig up some photos of a pretty neat alternative to some of the problems mentioned here about the "ash slot"...I'll post as soon as I can find them
Dutch
Old 06-02-2008, 09:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Bruce,
A metal plate would work for a ash slot. One that overlapped the adjacent bricks a bit, with a rod or some sort of extension allowing it to be removed by pushing upwards from below the hearth would suffice, at least in my simple mind. It would be easy to work around when loading and removing pizzas, and could be used for branding your cattle after heating the oven.

-
Old 06-03-2008, 04:36 AM
Master Builder

Actually, the ash slot on CJ's oven does not get in the way. It's there in the front but you are putting your peels further in, not sliding them in from the front of the landing....think about it.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:03 AM
Peasant

As a newbie, I have to ask...If there's no ash chute it appears folks are using shovels or their peels to scoop out coals/ashes. Obviously they have to go into metal container...is a metal garbage can sufficient? I'm wondering if dumping hot coals into a galvanized can "trashes" the can. Does the can last? Do folks have a preference to size? shape? I imagine a medium size square-shaped can would be ideal...not too large to handle and able to hold up to landing to shovel coals into.

As I design my WFO/bbq layout I'd like to include storage spaces for wood, tools, ash can, etc. so I'd like to find out as much as I can. Thanks, Craig
Old 06-03-2008, 09:16 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringJim View Post
Actually, the ash slot on CJ's oven does not get in the way. It's there in the front but you are putting your peels further in, not sliding them in from the front of the landing....think about it.
Craig,

I bought a small galvanized bucket that is about 12"w x 10"h. You could/should go a little bigger -- particularly if you are going to be working with hot coals. Cool ash burned out from a fire is very small, as the oven is very efficient at burning your wood.

It's the pans you are sliding in and out of the oven, and setting in the landing to keep warm, that tip over in the ash slot.

James

Last edited by james; 06-03-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

My ash bucket cost seven bucks on sale. It is intended for fireplace ashes. The hot coals have burned the paint off in a couple of areas but it is a convenient spot to transfer my coals (by FB oven shovel). Forget picking it up for 24 hours. The embers stay hot for hours.

-
Old 06-03-2008, 09:55 PM
Peasant

I worry a bit about that. Recently in Milwaukee we had guy that left his hot coals in his grill overnight. Next day he figured they'd be cool enough and dumped them in his garbage can next to garage. Later that night garage caught on fire. Coals stay hot long time...