Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 07:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Advice on pouring the hearth

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, Kirshner, but I anticipate explosive deconstruction of your dome the first time you fire it to operating temps.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:23 PM
Peasant

thanks Cecelia
the hardest part is making a perfect dome so you can plaster the stuff over it,then remove clay from inside and...wallah!.
this i did buy stacking wood blocks into a dome using a jig or stencil as a guide,
I then pressed about 8 20kg bags of clay onto the wood sliding my stencil jig around the base creating a perfect dome.finished it by plastering the mix over it 2 inches thick,now under wet towels.i guess the important part is to keep it a uniform thickness as that will probably decrease the cracks,but i expect they are going to happen anyway.would love some advice on how to add suspension to my steel frame which will be welded onto trailer soon.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, Kirshner, but I anticipate explosive deconstruction of your dome the first time you fire it to operating temps.
My curiosity is piqued; I'm trying to figure out why. Can you educate us?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Maybe because you did not use any fibres that burn away leaving a network of mini "pipes" to enhance the removal of water vapour. Not sure how the aggregate you used will handle the heat either. Saw lots of ovens in Europe that must be hundreds of years old, many with roughly mortared rocks, they were ok so I think provided you eliminate the water REALLY slowly, you'll be ok.
kirshner likes this.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:57 AM
Peasant

thanks for feedback.now i,m freaking out
I got the recipe from a guy online,who makes and sells pizza ovens,river sand and aggregates in my area anyway,are derived from volcanic stone,so should be able to handle the heat.i was intending to dry it out totally before firing it up.thanks david s for th glimmer of hope,but this is frustrating,one person says it will explode another that it will probably be alright.it is special aluminate high temp cement after all and the hydrating lime can handle high temps,so why would it "explode"i if thoroughly dried out.i am sourcing materials that are available as i live in a small country town in new zealand.
cheers