Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 07:47 PM
Serf

Default Re: Is a 62" corner base too small for a 42" (interior)oven? Am about to give it all

Yes. I was thinking that very thing although I would build the additional wall, a straight then circular thing, around only half the walls as the the back two walls, the ones that are 62" long, are right on the edge of the foundation. Flush even... (I was a little concerned about that too -- they're quite good but it's sometimes a little hard managing a crew of four, watching every little thing.)

In any case, is it crazy to plot my concrete block curve with the blocks lined up vertically rather than the long way? Am wondering if I'll get the same support? Thnak you! ~r
Old 07-04-2011, 05:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Is a 62" corner base too small for a 42" (interior)oven? Am about to give it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinreese View Post
Yes. I was thinking that very thing although I would build the additional wall, a straight then circular thing, around only half the walls as the the back two walls, the ones that are 62" long, are right on the edge of the foundation. Flush even... (I was a little concerned about that too -- they're quite good but it's sometimes a little hard managing a crew of four, watching every little thing.)

In any case, is it crazy to plot my concrete block curve with the blocks lined up vertically rather than the long way? Am wondering if I'll get the same support? Thank you! ~r
Defining "crew of four"....If you have some bona fide craftsmen there, forming the cantilever over the current walls will be easiest and plenty strong. If the crew is your family and friends, choose the method you are most comfortable with.

Personally, I'd pour a hearth that would hold the oven.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Serf

Default Re: Is a 62" corner base too small for a 42" (interior)oven? Am about to give it all

I finally got some better pictures of what I plan to do. I drew the outline onto the slab itself. I wrote in where is the flush mounted side burner on the left and where the built-in grill goes on the right. The rocks are on top of the concrete blocks to mark the approximate circle outline of the oven itself.
Is a 62" corner base too small for a 42" (interior)oven? Am about to give it all up..-p1000746.jpg

I will obviously be using more concrete blocks to build out to the edge of the curved line and everything that's not oven, grill, or burner will be exactly the same 50 inches high, so all counter. The concrete slab will have flagstone mortared to it. The dirt will be weed cloth then sand then flagstone "floated" in it, butting up to the mortared flag. The guys who poured the slab didn't hear me say I wanted the outside edge of the kitchen slab to be in line with the outside edge of the fence pillars so my corner will be in line with the latilla fence that strings between the pillars, 8 inches in from the outside edge of the pillars. I guess that'll be okay... As I mentioned, the oven was a last minute idea so I wanted to use their manpower to get the thing started, as long as they're here with all the machines, then do the actual oven myself, on top of the hearth, when I have more money and am better-versed in the process of building the dome.

Here's the view of the slab out my living room window, facing west. It's usually bright and clear here at 8000 feet but we have forest fires all around us right now. New Mexico is in a real drought this year..
Is a 62" corner base too small for a 42" (interior)oven? Am about to give it all up..-p1000774.jpg

Here's the look I'm aiming for:
Is a 62" corner base too small for a 42" (interior)oven? Am about to give it all up..-orange-ca.jpeg

Thanks for your support here. It helps to just write it out for the record too. Starting to keep a photo file here and on picasa.