Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 08:39 PM
Peasant

Default Re: 42" in Portland OR

Well, I have gotten through the curing phase without any cracking (knock on wood). Turns out when you finish the dome 2 months ago, and scratch your head for a while on the front part everything gets nice and dry.

Last night I had the fire up to ~850. At 1 hour in the dome started to clear! By 2 hours, almost the entire dome had cleared!. I was not expecting that... it's pizza time this weekend!

My chimney seems to draw really well when it is still out, but when it is windy the smoke goes everywhere. Is that to be expected?

This has been a long process, and I couldn't have done it without the help of this forum. There is an incredible wealth of knowledge on these pages.

I am hoping to get countertops in this weekend, and stucco next weekend. Then, finally, I can tell my wife that I have finished the project...(even though there will always be something else to tinker with)
Attached Thumbnails
42" in Portland OR-img_0412.jpg   42" in Portland OR-img_0415.jpg   42" in Portland OR-img_0416.jpg  
Old 11-16-2013, 06:42 PM
Peasant

There was a while that I didn't think I would get to this point, but I am in the home stretch! I had a guy come do the veneer and build the BBQ island next to it, and now I am working on the lighting and electrical.

In the middle of the project, the stucco guy that I had lined up quit on me! He said he wasn't comfortable putting the stucco on since you couldn't nail the lath to the dome. I thought to myself "I'm not comfortable doing this either! That's why I hired you!"

I wound up building a cage out of 3/8" rebar and tying the lath to that. I mixed up a brown coat of Portland cement, lime, and sand and worked it in through the lath. After that dried for a couple days, I did 2 coats of the Quikwall surface bond cement. Thanks to the recommendation of this great forum - that stuff is awesome! It has already been through a storm or two here in Portland, and there is zero water going through to the dome. Seems to be relatively waterproof.

All in all, the stucco wasn't as bad as I had feared - it was actually somewhat enjoyable. A pleasant surprise after some of the challenges encountered along the way!

I have had 2 pizza parties now, and couldn't be more pleased with the oven. It holds temperature beautifully, draws well, and elicits nice compliments from guests! Thanks to all on the forum - I couldn't have gotten here without the help!
Attached Thumbnails
42" in Portland OR-pizza2.jpg   42" in Portland OR-pizza1.jpg  
Greenman likes this.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:41 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by portland_aaron View Post
There was a while that I didn't think I would get to this point, but I am in the home stretch! I had a guy come do the veneer and build the BBQ island next to it, and now I am working on the lighting and electrical.

All in all, the stucco wasn't as bad as I had feared - it was actually somewhat enjoyable. A pleasant surprise after some of the challenges encountered along the way!
Great turn out, awesome looking. Beautiful stone work, I love the counters what type are they, are soap stone?

Glad to here you found the stucco work pleasant. I am in the fearing stage and have been procrastinating. I need a good swift kick to get me going.

Can't wait to see the lights.

KB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:29 AM
Peasant

The counters are actually poured concrete. Far more affordable than stone

Don't worry to much about the stucco. It goes quick, just do it!
Old 11-18-2013, 12:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Aaron - that looks great. Nice work on the counters and the stone. I used a similar stone for my oven base. Good work on the stucco as well. Glad to hear that it's fast to the weather. I wasn't confident I could achieve that, so I went with the doghouse.

Love the chicken coop too!

Old 11-19-2013, 04:19 AM
Master Builder

Very tidy work. You have to be happy with the outcome of your labour. Congratulations. The idea harvesters (like me) have had a good time with your poured concrete counters etc.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics

Tags
pompeii oven, portland