Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 06:13 PM
Peasant

Default Re: 42" in Portland OR

So I have a question about the mortaring process... I am using the homebrew 3:1:1:1 mortar, using "superfine dry sand." I am finding it impossible to get nice snug joints; the mortar seems to be in the way!

Maybe my process is off? I soak the brick until the bubbles stop coming out of it, and wet down the area to be mortared. Then I butter the mortar onto the bricks already stuck on the oven and try to position the new brick onto the course. It seems like I can't get the mortar to spread thin enough without driving out all of the water and limiting the ability to move it around.

I have tried watering down the mortar mixture until it is quite runny, which helped a bit - but not as much as hoped for.

This is a challenging project for a perfectionist.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

With exprimentaion, you will learn how much to butter the brick for home brew. A 1/8th inch mortar joint doesn't need 1/2" thick of butter spread .

If you are a true perfectionist, you will never get finished with your oven .

Try to find a happy medium and get on to the cooking!.

Seriously, A little experimentation will go a long way. It really doesn't have to be perfect. Strive to get the joints as thin as possible to the inside of the oven. The outer joints don't have to be perfect.

Just Sayin'
brickie in oz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you are like me, you'll figure it out about when you finish your oven...

Old 03-16-2013, 09:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If the mortar is right, you will be able to stick the brick without a form to hold it. If you are using 3:1:1:1 with fine sand you may need to adjust your mix.

In progress prior to cleaning.

Last edited by Tscarborough; 03-16-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:06 PM
Peasant

What do you mean by adjust it? Water content, or constituent elements?

Yours seems to have much better adhesion than mine.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:10 PM
Peasant

sorry this is late in the thread but...when you poured your hearth did you fill your dry stacked cinder blocks as well? I see lots of dry stacks but never filled and I assume you do that when you pour your hearth. Thanks for the pics and keep up the good work. I'm at the stacking stage and am debating filling them now but it seems redundant.

Last edited by Bartondad; 03-18-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

3:1:1:1 is pretty rich, you may have to lean it out a bit (add more sand) and keep it a little drier than you may have it.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"I soak the brick until the bubbles stop coming out of it, and wet down the area to be mortared. Then I butter the mortar onto the bricks already stuck on the oven"

I missed this. You do not need to soak the brick, and you do not butter the laid brick, you butter the brick you are laying. Do not coat the brick in a nice even layer of mortar, butter the edges and leave a gap in the center, kind of like this (not this much though, about half as much).

Old 03-18-2013, 01:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I believe you should fill everyother core with concrete and have rebar embedded in the floor. You need a solid tied together dry stack base to form to for your hearth pour.
Attached Thumbnails
42" in Portland OR-21-forming-hearth-5.4.12.jpg  

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 03-18-2013, 01:40 PM
Master Builder

Cool Re: 42" in Portland OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by portland_aaron View Post
Thanks for all the encouragement. I keep telling my wife that I'm not crazy with this project, but she doesn't quite believe me.

Made some progress this weekend - got the insulation cut, laid and leveled the floor,

Greeting Portland. My whole family thinks I'm crazy
I'm curious about the insulation you used it looks like FBs brand. I bought FBS brand I thought it was somewhat fragile and thought I read that you need to keep it dry. Did you use a wet sand and fireclay mixture? How did it work for ya? How easy was it to get your floor level?

Look foward to following your build looks great.

KB

Tags
pompeii oven, portland