Old 01-18-2011, 05:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: 42" Indoor Pompeii w/ room addition

You'd better put some safety cones around that tree

Good luck, I like your plan to get by with a little help from your friends

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:22 AM
Serf

Default Re: 42" Indoor Pompeii w/ room addition

Well, things are falling into place little by little. I've been given ~65 block which should make a good dent in the oven stand. I've also had a friend tell me that he would drop by with his little track-hoe and dig the footers for the addition and dig out the oven slab for free. I don't have the building permit yet and the weather has been miserable, so we haven't broken ground.

It occurred to me today that 6x6 might not be a big enough stand for an indoor 42" oven. With this being indoors, I would like to make sure all the smoke goes up the chimney. From reading on the forum, it sounds like the extra height of the chimney will help, but I should probably build a slightly large smoke chamber as well.

As far as an oven finish, it will begin life as a quick stucco finish, which I will later fully enclose w/ metal framed walls when doing the interior finishing on the addition.

Will I have enough room for the metal studs and to build a deeper smoke chamber at the oven entrance with the stand sized this way, or do I need to make the stand an extra half-block wider and deeper?

I should also note that while the oven will be located in the corner of the room, I don't intend to treat it as a "corner installation." I'll have the oven opening parallel to the longest wall of the room.

Thanks!