Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 06:13 PM
Peasant

Default Re: 39" Oven in AZ

I know it's a bit late in the forum but instead of mortar I see wedges in between some of the dome bricks. Was just wondering if this was to keep the angle or use less mortar...or both. Thanks and looking great
Old 10-19-2013, 08:29 PM
Peasant

M4L,

Thank you for the compliment. I used the wedges both to keep the angle and reduce the amount of mortar that I needed. With tapering the bricks you end up with a ton of waste from cuts and brick dust. So it seemed like a great way to use it up as much as possible. Even doing that I think I have pile of waste that is about equal to 20 to 30 bricks. Maybe more.
Moose4Life likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:08 PM
Peasant

Day two of curing fires. made it to 300 degrees on the dome for an hour or so. The crack hasn't grown any larger and I still have yet to see any new ones.

Wonder if the months of sitting in the AZ sun helped dry the mortar out a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:46 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grtiz View Post
Day two of curing fires. made it to 300 degrees on the dome for an hour or so. The crack hasn't grown any larger and I still have yet to see any new ones.

Wonder if the months of sitting in the AZ sun helped dry the mortar out a bit.
Grtiz,
I would put some insulation on before going to the hotter curing fires. Just my opinion.

KB

Old 10-21-2013, 07:34 AM
Serf

Looking great, Gritz! The weather is perfect this time of year for working outside and finishing the project. What ideas do you have for the chimney? For my build, I was going to complete all the masonry (chimney too) before I did my first curing fires but I'm not sure whether that is necessary.

// C
Old 10-21-2013, 08:03 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyungle View Post
Looking great, Gritz! The weather is perfect this time of year for working outside and finishing the project. What ideas do you have for the chimney? For my build, I was going to complete all the masonry (chimney too) before I did my first curing fires but I'm not sure whether that is necessary.

// C
Pardon me there Grtiz.......Your build is looking also great........I think by finishing the insulation it lessens thermal stresses and chimney adds weight to compress the arch. I think my very small crack on my arch would have been much greater if I had not taken this route. My arch crack is barely noticeable at this point, and has pretty much fill with soot, making it hard for even me to see. This is just my opinion and conclusion of the many great theories found here on the forum.

Grtiz, I think your crack will be fine although you might want to consider some buttressing and additional weigh on the chimney for added insurance. Just my opinion.

KB

Old 10-21-2013, 03:48 PM
Peasant

Excellent points and thank you I think I'll probably start insulating this week then before I get much further in. Called a place to get the steel studs other than HD or Lowes so I think I'll take a few days off get a shell going and throw on that insulation.

Today's curing fire (390-400) added new crack to the inner arch that mirrors the outer arch and the dome shows hairline cracks in the cladding. They seem to be in a radial pattern but I can't see any of them on the interior.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:20 PM
Peasant

Today's lesson was with Tapcon screws. I know the instructions state to drill the holes 1/4 inch deeper than the screw length. This did not work for me at all I found that when attaching the steel track for the enclosure that I had to drill at least 3/4 - 1" deeper than the screw length.

I also but three washers on to add about 1/4 inch of effective drill depth. This also gave a much larger surface area to hold down the steel track.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Peasant

Got the oven hot enough to clear the dome this evening. Will try and post some pictures but no visible cracks on the dome. The one on the outer arch didn't open up again either. The one on the inner arch didn't widen when the dome got hot enough to clear so I think I will call this a success and start to close up the enclosure.

Pics to follow tomorrow.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:13 PM
Peasant

Wow time just zips by. Clearly I did not get photos up the following day. Here are some of the more current photos as the project has moved along.

Need to do the landing followed by the tile and stucco and finally figure how I will seal the roof above the oven.

Then I can finish the gas hook up and start using the complete kitchen.
Attached Thumbnails
39" Oven in AZ-img_20140717_163234_488.jpg   39" Oven in AZ-img_20140717_163249_890.jpg   39" Oven in AZ-img_20140717_163309_323.jpg   39" Oven in AZ-img_20140717_163325_178.jpg