Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 08:34 PM
Peasant

Default Re: 39" Oven in AZ

OK we altered the template and made it a true arch though it starts 3 rows up. I did to make sure I could get my roasting pan through with a large turkey inside. Should have some photo's up tomorrow. But with it 118 out it is slow going.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mine is basically a semi-circle. I placed one brick vertical to start, then just ran an arc. The width is 19" and the height is 12". Height is 6o-something % of dome height to optimize draw - which seems to work well.

what are you planning for dome height? Did you see my comment about using an IT? If you are using one (which I would if I had it to do over again...) I would build it with a turnbuckle so that you can shorten it up by an eighth of an inch or so with each course - which will give you a flatter dome. I didn't see that technique used until I was too far along - but it's pretty clever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:42 AM
Peasant

If I shorten my IT as I move up in courses do I need to alter the measurements in your spreadsheet to stay on track? Unless I am reading it wrong, it seems to rely on a constant measurement for the entire dome.

Last edited by Grtiz; 06-30-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grtiz View Post
If I shorten my IT as I move up in courses do I need to alter the measurements in your spreadsheet to stay on track? Unless I am reading it wrong, it seems to rely on a constant measurement for the entire dome.
Ah yes. good point. For someone who says he's not good a math, you got that right!

The other way to do it would be to remove a couple of bricks in the middle of your oven while you are building the dome so that you can recess the IT. If it's an inch below the surface, you can get a lower dome profile without needing to make changes.

It's fine if you use a normal IT, I just bring it up because your pivot height determines your dome height, which is the driving factor in the height of your door. And with a 1" high pivot, your dome is going to be taller than mine.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Peasant

I cut the tilt and the side angle on two bricks. The Inside bottom and outside bottom match what they should be but when I go to dry fit them there is a huge gap. Though if I go narrow side down and then wide side down they fit together like a zipper. I could see very small to almost no mortar joint.

Is this what you had in mind?

The first photo is with the cuts and wide side narrow side. The second photo is wide side, wide side.

Have I done something terribly wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
39" Oven in AZ-img_20130707_124033_153.jpg   39" Oven in AZ-img_20130707_124045_092.jpg  
Old 07-09-2013, 08:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

They look right, and they should fit together like the second picture - but when you lay them, the back will be tilted up about 5 degrees by the mortar and the top of the brick should be aligned to the top of your IT. Play around with shims to see how they fit when you tilt them in toward the oven.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grtiz View Post
I cut the tilt and the side angle on two bricks. The Inside bottom and outside bottom match what they should be but when I go to dry fit them there is a huge gap. Though if I go narrow side down and then wide side down they fit together like a zipper. I could see very small to almost no mortar joint.

Is this what you had in mind?

The first photo is with the cuts and wide side narrow side. The second photo is wide side, wide side.

Have I done something terribly wrong?
The bricks you have shown will work at higher courses but for this course the angles are to steep you overshot the inverted v and created a serious upright v.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:00 AM
Peasant

OK. I'll take a fresh look at it. I did a wedge course so the bricks are already in line with the IT so that is what I think is throwing me off. When I tried additional wedges it looks like I would end up with a 90 degree dome after a few courses.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
The bricks you have shown will work at higher courses but for this course the angles are to steep you overshot the inverted v and created a serious upright v.
I kind of thought that might be the case too - but thought he should try tilting them first. He's shooting for a flatter dome which means the first course is pretty aggressively tilted. The cut on the vertical face should be around 8 degrees if my spreadsheet is giving me the right answer...

Old 07-09-2013, 10:04 AM
Peasant

Chip, so narrow side down? I ended up with a calc of 11.8 on the tilt for this course. I must have screwed up something in the calculator.