Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 02:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 39" Oven in AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyungle View Post
My only unknown at this point in the construction is whether to build the insulation layer of the hearth slab over or underneath the reinforce concrete later. There seems to be a lot of debate about that issue.

// C
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by reinforce concrete layer. Insulation should be between the brick floor and the hearth. I don't know that there is any debate about that. Some builders put a layer of vermicrete down, and then the board - but no one puts the insulation under the hearth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:56 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Great progress, Grtiz! At this point in your construction, would you have done anything differently?

// C
Thank you. At this point I think the only thing I might have considered doing differently would be a larger stand.

I've been happy with Marvel though they did misquote by $.20 a brick. I debated doing the vermicrete layer but after mixing and pouring over 30 80lb bags of quikrete I think the fiber board is way to go. You would not believe how easy it is to work with.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:

My only unknown at this point in the construction is whether to build the insulation layer of the hearth slab over or underneath the reinforce concrete later. There seems to be a lot of debate about that issue.

// C
This has to be a misunderstanding...there is no debate about this. The insulation HAS to be under the floor brick, and not the structural slab.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 06-27-2013, 06:58 PM
Peasant

Stonecutter,

Great call on covering it with plastic. I still have my sheeting that I used when I poured the slab and hearth so that should work a bit better than the towels I had anyway.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:07 PM
Peasant

Dennis,

With that considered do you think the 7 degrees would work?

When you made the transition into your arch did you use a base template similar to the ones below it and just cut a 7 degree wedge off of it?
Old 06-27-2013, 07:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Lemons into lemonade.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 06-27-2013, 11:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grtiz View Post
Dennis,

With that considered do you think the 7 degrees would work?

When you made the transition into your arch did you use a base template similar to the ones below it and just cut a 7 degree wedge off of it?
to be honiest, I think I used the 5 degree chips I had cut off the first two courses of bricks. gven the two layers of mortar, it's easy to get to the 12 degrees.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:03 PM
Peasant

I made a template up for the inner entry arch and it seems to be a bit flat. I plan on tapering the bricks like Gino has done but even so it seems a flat.

Should increase the arch on the left and right to help strengthen this up?

There will be more bricks of course I just set them up there so the arch could be seen more clearly.
Attached Thumbnails
39" Oven in AZ-img_20130629_165604_916.jpg  
Old 06-29-2013, 05:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

My $0.02: make the door a half circle! It's much easier to build and easier to join to your dome.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:19 PM
Peasant

That's what I was thinking and have been second guessing the entry since I started.

You ended up going completely half circle correct? When I looked at your initial photos it looked like you had the two soldiers at the left and right?

Also what did you end up with height wise? Since I am trying to copy you I may as well get that right too