Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2014, 11:03 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: 38" build in southern IL

It has been a long while since I posted any updated pics, so I thought I better get busy.

FELIX, this was my first build and I did months of research on the FB site as well as other sites. FB is far and above the best site to find information and help. There are many people with a lot of experience who will share their knowledge. There wasn't really any strong reason for wanting a lower dome height rather than a true spherical dome. I guess the reason for the low dome was part of the creative side in me and wanting something of a challenge. I never laid a brick in mortar in my life so the dome fire brick was already enough of a challenge. Guess I am a sucker for a challenge. Once I figured out the calculation of 5 inches from center of the dome to the hinge pin it was just the same as a regular IT. Remember the center of the IT rod has to line up with the center of the brick to avoid the next course from 'lipping' over the previous course. Also, with the lazy susan, once IT rod reaches a vertical position, the IT becomes useless and you have to be creative on the last two courses. I used a car jack, round piece of plywood and some brick pieces to shim up the brick until the mortar held. Others have shared their ways to lay the last two courses if you do some research of other threads. We have been able to cook everything we want in this oven so no problem or issues there. There are a couple pics below which I hope will help you.

Rotterdam, I am down state from you. About 25 miles east of St Louis, just off route 4. Let me know if you are down this way sometime.

Hodgey1, glad you appreciate the pipes. I was in design/build commercial construction for 35 years. As I was doing my initial research for the oven, I saw a comment and a pic on someones thread joking about a sewer pipe and thought it was a possible creative idea. I thought, hey, my oven is round, why not have a round base...the creative side coming out again. I called one of my sewer pipe fabricator contacts and explained my ideas to him. At first he thought i was nuts, but I did get him to buy into it. There are six concrete pieces. He fabricated an 8' x 10" thick base which I have down about 18 inches for frost protection, the three dog house base section, the 10 inch thick counter top, the single hole section where the oven entrance is, the non-concentric tapered cone section and a three inch thick lid. The only true custom piece is the counter top. I have a two inch ledge all the way around for the single hole section to set into so no water can ever seek its way in to the oven floor insulation. In plan view the counter top looks like a mickey mouse head and ears. The ears being the side counters. The counter top section has 2 layers of rebar. The bottom layer is #6 bar 8" on center both directions and the top layer is #5 bar 8" both directions, so I know this sucker is never going to move or crack! The guys delivering the pieces were amazed how it all pulled together. Once all of the pieces were set, I use some concrete tilt-up panel wall patch to fill in the bug holes and the gaps between the concrete sections. For extra insulation, I pretty much filled the two top sections around the dome with vermiculite for extra insulation. I plan on painting "EST 1836" in 6 inch tall letters above the oven entrance to commemorate when the house was built. My wife says the oven resembles a milk can so the lettering might be appropriate. I am also hoping the english ivy we planted will grow and eventually cover a lot of the concrete. I still need to figure something out with finishing the countertop...ie, polished concrete, granite, tile, etc options.

Hodgley, As a side note, since you are in the sewer business you and others might appreciate some other thoughts/ideas. Another option in lieu of a pouring a concrete slab, block walls and a top slab to build the oven on, is to talk with a sewer pipe/manhole fabricator. They often also build custom septic tanks and would probably entertain fabbing up something to the dimensions needed for an oven. This would especially be true for a barrel oven. If someone is in a time crunch to get the base in so they could start laying down insulation and building their dome, this could be a huge time saver.

thanks....jon
Attached Thumbnails
38" build in southern IL-img_0448.jpg   38" build in southern IL-031-copy.jpg   38" build in southern IL-img_0755.jpg   38" build in southern IL-054.jpg  
NCMan likes this.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:05 PM
Journeyman

Jon,

What an awesome build! I nearly fell off my chair when I saw they finish, my earlier comment to finish it with a manhole cone section came true. Wish I had thought of that but then I'd would of had a tough time selling that to my wife. Again nice finish.

Link to my photo album:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Link to my build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:06 PM
Apprentice

Chris,
Thanks for your comments. This was a fun build, cooks great and retains the heat very well. I am certainly looking forward to another build soon.

jon
Old 07-24-2014, 02:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

jon,

I have not seen your finished build until now, last time was before you added the top section. It turned out very nice. No question on uniqueness.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:33 PM
Apprentice

Russel,
Thank you for your kind words. It was a lot of fun to build and we enjoy cooking in it several times a week.
jon