Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 12:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Bruce,

Look at Gianni Focaccia's thread to help you. Here is a link to a specific tapered arch with straight side walls.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/oc...tml#post119582 (OctoForno)
Old 04-23-2013, 02:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Bruce
So you have figured out that the dome curve meets the top of the arch apex at a point wider than a 1/2 brick. A sobering thought.
First and easy way is to make the arch from 3/4 brick and leave an internal lip in the inside of the oven. Of course it will always be a trap for ash and the like. I did that , and it doesn't bother me in the least ...I don't know any different.
The secound is to cut the curve of the dome into the inner face of the arch.Quite a bit of complex cutting if you were the cut and assemble the arch before assembling the dome to meet it.
I tend to take the opinion of Doug ( Katanga Dude) who used the last method for his first oven is to build the arch as the dome is constructed. Apart from valuing his opinion (read his oven build) it sounds sensible and less nerve racking to cut and udjust both arch and dome as you go.
By the way pretty impressive brick balancing there!
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cobblerdave; 04-23-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:10 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
First and easy way is to make the arch from 3/4 brick and leave an internal lip in the inside of the oven. Of course it will always be a trap for ash and the like. I did that , and it doesn't bother me in the least ...I don't know any different.
Easy sounds good to me.

Quote:
By the way pretty impressive brick balancing there!
Regards dave
I actually had it up one additional course but took it off because it was less stable and I was afraid I would bump it and knock it over. It was nice to see something on the stand. It hurt a little when I took it down to work on the CF board. I put on my gloves, googles, and dust mask. I used a coping saw and I agree with others who have commented on how nasty it is to work with. I had read the instruction not to use a jig saw but have difficulty believing it would create significantly more particles. Did not cut the 3rd board yet because I wanted to check the pattern for area in front. Something to look forward to along with cutting the second layer. Threw a tarp over it and left the cf on the stand. The third image is a wood stork that was in our backyard earlier this spring.
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_6028c34d-6229-4660-b0f4-24e6ac48b736.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_9590f91f-ec24-49b1-b230-1e7d20377388.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_721d6e63-82ce-44f1-9191-e8e0746312bb.jpg  

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 04-24-2013, 04:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Cool Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Gudday Bruce
I like the secound pic actually, Ah the old blue tarp, I have one exactly the same. A bit more sun effected and frayed, but an old friend. Chuck it over your work and chuck a couple of bricks around the edge.
Next time you lift it ....Suprise ... Surprise , all you work is there waiting for you ...and that 1/2 drank beer?. Now I remember ... I was just too tied to finish it ...and I needed that one last pic in the fading light. The simplist, cheapest, and most underrated tool on the job!
Anyhow, the blue tarps a good tool ... Tire out ... Struck a problem... That blue tarp going to give you time

Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-24-2013, 02:59 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Gudday Bruce
Next time you lift it ....Suprise ... Surprise , all you work is there waiting for you ...and that 1/2 drank beer?. Now I remember ...
Regards dave
Yep, the uncut CF board was still there. Managed to get it cut and lay out floor before I wore out. The front of the carpenter's square is where I intend to cut front of floor inner entry and start thermal break. Busy during the day tomorrow, not sure when I will be able to start trimming brick. Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_85a473d7-4c0d-4725-95e8-4645e3ff91f3.jpg  

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 04-24-2013, 06:43 PM
Peasant

It's coming together Bruce! Looking good.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:33 PM
Journeyman

Hi Capt, good to know you are keeping an eye on my build. Feels good to actually be working on the oven. Bruce
Capt likes this.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:20 PM
Master Builder

Bruce,
Just finished ready your build, looking good. Nice Herring bones pattern on the oven floor. Looking forward to following your progress.

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 04-24-2013 at 11:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-24-2013, 11:46 PM
Journeyman

Thanks kbartman, I been subscribed to, and have been following your bid as well. Glad your fb board has work out. Bruce

Old 04-25-2013, 02:38 AM
Master Builder

Smile Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Bruce,
The fb board is still a concern of mine I'm trusting I made the right decision. hope it don't come back to bite me. Since I decide to move on in my build, no one has posted anything further. Makes me wonder. I hope I have'nt affended anyone with my kidding around. If I did, my appologies to all. I value everyones opinion and need all the help I can get. Feel free to post on my thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec1208 View Post
The pompelli plans suggest a stand that has rebar reinforced concrete cores covered by a solid poured slab that is also reinforced with rebar. I was expecting comments in the other direction (i.e., that my stand was in effect too insubstantial). Too late to change but curious how you what you would have suggested.
I see you have really thought out the oven support. I think it will be plenty. I questioned it also till I seen the pictures underneath. I think it is rock solid with all blocks and angle underneath. Just a little warm fuzzy for ya.

KB

KB