Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 01:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec1208 View Post
maybe spread butter over the top per Brickie's suggestion (anyone tried?)
Thank cobblerdave not me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:45 AM
Journeyman

Ah, memory I almost remember when I had one. Hi brickie, I hadn't"t relalized you were the author of the kindle book I purchased a few month ago until yesterday. Do you stil manage the website you mentioned at the end of,the book? I couldn't get the link to work. Regards, Bruce

And thanks cobblerdave for the tip. Bruce

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 04-22-2013, 01:55 AM
Journeyman

Dave, sounds like you recommend setting the CF board and floor first (wouldn't I need to before laying the plywood?). Thanks

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein

Last edited by Bec1208; 04-22-2013 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Fixed typos
Old 04-22-2013, 01:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec1208 View Post
Ah, memory I almost remember when I had one. Hi brickie, I hadn't"t relalized you were the author of the kindle book I purchased a few month ago until yesterday. Do you stil manage the website you mentioned at the end of,the book? I couldn't get the link to work. Regards, Bruce
Thanks for buying the book Bruce.

I deleted the website because unfortunately I had to many spammers and scammers coming to the site, it was wearing me down,
I did the site to help ppl understand brickwork but there are too many scammers wanting to take advantage.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:58 AM
Journeyman

Sorry to hear. Thanks for your help. Bruce

Old 04-22-2013, 03:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
CF board, hearth brick lay you ply guide/ IT tool mount/floor protector. Lay your dome bricks around the outside of it on the hearth bricks. No soldier sailor tinker tailor, in its simplicity lies it strength.
Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-22-2013, 07:57 PM
Journeyman

Weather was threatening most of the day. There never was any rain and I was away from the house most of the day. I was able to cut out a plywood template and left extra room in front so could work out entry area. My understanding is that the outer entry and vent area can be built free standing with a thermal break. However, I need to work out at least the inner entry before I can start laying bricks since it needs to be tied into the dome. I'm going to check out some of the other builds to see their entry design.
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_b4c3eb18-1dcf-45c1-bfe9-77f1c3dddf6f.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_27511535-80df-47aa-b837-e583aa8c3303.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_e0a2528c-75b7-4dd3-8cde-c437773b1632.jpg  

Old 04-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Question Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Gudday Bruce
Re. Entry area. You have already figured out it can't be to deep.
What about width and height? I can't think of any reason you can't make it higher and wider than than what is considered normal apart from the proportion aspect. All the entry does really is carry the chimney externally to the oven.
There is no reason the outer entry can not be made of normal brick either ....you must admitt firebricks are a bit bland.
Just a thought
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-23-2013, 04:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Bruce
I'll retract the comment about the entry just being there to carry the chimney. I went back to a thread "Oven on wheels" in the other ovens section. That oven started with a stainless/S hood,no sides. It was wind effected, so bricks were stacked on the sides and finally mortared in permanently. So the sides diffinitly do serve to stop the breeze effecting the oven,blowing the smoke away before it can exit the chimney.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-23-2013, 09:58 AM
Journeyman

I was having difficulty visualizing how the dome would meet up with the entry, so I tried to do a rough mock up. The images below show the various stages starting with creating a section of the dome using the bricks I had cut to surround the oven floor supported by my IT. The make shift arch's apex is approximately 12". Eyeballing the setup, it appears to me that the tie in to the dome should not be too hard and that I can start with vertical full bricks on both sides and work out the details as the course approach the top of the side bricks. Won't have a lot of time to work on the oven but will try to get the cf board cut and try laying out the floor. Any feedback appreciated. Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_5fa0317c-7326-4e80-8f4a-ea9a807eaa4f.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_bcfd20b6-588e-4383-bc1d-2c72b28eda31.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_3240eeaf-2bd5-4dbe-adde-3084c5b983d7.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_09e4bd9b-40ef-4914-ae38-270da9f6cae7.jpg