Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 06:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Gudday Bruce
We're coming up summer and have already had our first storms. I've been pottering along and have built a storm door to stop the rain beating in on those hearth bricks
This is MK 1 just a ply prototype but it seems to be working an we had 2 small storms test it out
Regards dave
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image.jpg  

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wink Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image.jpgGudday again
Need a secound post for a secound pic

[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	571.2 KB
ID:	39974
[ATTACH]39974[/ATTACH
Back of the door shown . The 3x4 hardwood looks a bit overkill but its heavy and the fire brick should stop it from being blown off. I'm reluctant to fit any permanent fixtures to the front of the oven if I can help it . Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated as I'm not sure if this will prove to be completely storm proof. I'm a bit iffy with loose things in my yard as I had a Flat BBQ lid nearly take out a neighbor a few years ago in a storm. So any ideas or thoughts are appreciated
Regards dave
Yeh I know pis upside down don't you just love apple sometimes

My Build

My Door

Last edited by cobblerdave; 11-04-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:49 PM
Journeyman

Hi Dave,
I'll mention the most obvious solution though I suspect you have already rejected it on aesthetic grounds. You could simply run a strap around the oven and through the handle. I doubt that's the solution you are looking for. I'll try and come up with something more elegant. If you are willing to use anchor bolts, then you might consider putting a decorative bracket on each side that could hold a crossbar.
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image.jpg  

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 11-05-2013, 01:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday that's what I needed another perspective. You have kicked the creative juices into action!
Now the first solution the strap. Simple,I like simple. But I'm a lazy shit at times would I use it ? That's all the time and get caught out by a storm
But in an idea there's always a nut of another and it brings up the concept of taking the fasteners from the front to the side ... That's worth pursuing !
Now the secound idea ( and the drawing I like drawings, intend to visualize things in a picture in my mind. Now that has some real ideas as well .
Like you said "elegant " I thought of fixtures as something ugly like bolts or hinges ... Something that would look out of place when the storm door was removed. With a bracket like you have described you would think it a natural extension of the oven and hang your heat proof gloves of it.
Anyway the plan for the moment is to wheather proof the oven. Lets see if MK 1 will do that . It's made out ply with a coat of deck seal to make it pretty but that will not last. So I will have to make my mind up on a more elegant solution before the end of summer. I know myself to well" if it works don't change it" . But I don't like ugly ... That ply is going to be pretty tacky soon...
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Last edited by cobblerdave; 11-05-2013 at 02:01 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:44 PM
Journeyman

I used the tuscan grill my brother in law welded for me to cook some jerk chicken. The results were excellent. Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_1492.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_1495.jpg  

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 11-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Lightbulb Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Gudday Bruce
That's interesting . You grills removable from the oven? I have just scored a old cast iron grill plate that I was preparing to fix some legs too. I was thinking more on the lines of a leaving it in one position and using a long pair of tongs, but that's got me thinking. To busy at the moment to do anything but think about it though.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 11-10-2013, 09:26 PM
Journeyman

Dave, the grill seems to function well and it is nice to be able to pull out the rack and turn or baste with ease. Here are a few more pics of just the grill. Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_1507.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_1506.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_1509.jpg  

Old 11-11-2013, 12:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Bruce
What a great idea! That certainly has been well thought up. Noticed the bars are stainless as well . I recon you should post all those pics in the Tuscan grill thread in the roast and grill section so all can see
Regards dave
Gulf likes this.

My Build

My Door

Old 11-12-2013, 03:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Bruce
Gulf posted "a like" and I went back to look .
Did you post those "matars " in the background to tease me?
My tomatoe growing season is winter ... And mine have finished a few weeks ago. And pretty poor this year I have had no time to tend to them.
We are just on the cusp of the summer storm season, we have had 3 small ones.
Pherhaps a few more plants before the fruit fly gets us.
There cousins the basil is coming up like hair on a cats back ... Recon I will have to take to it with the wiper sniper this weekend.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 11-13-2013, 10:00 PM
Journeyman

Dave, I checked with my brother in law and the bars are not stainless. The picture with the "matars" was taken in August. They have a very large garden that is very productive. Unfortunately, they live in Ohio so we mostly have to drool over the pictures as well.

I am looking at ways to build some counters. The only option I see is to build to the left in the area I had planned for my green egg. I stacked some block to get some sense of the layout. I hope you and anyone else still following this thread will share their ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_6.jpg  

Last edited by Bec1208; 11-13-2013 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Typos