Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 06:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Bruce

I'm hungry...... can't wait now having seen that

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:25 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
Bruce

I'm hungry...... can't wait now having seen that
Thanks, I've been following your build and am looking forward to seeing you up and running.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 08-10-2013, 10:29 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
They look good Bruce. It is good when a plan comes together, even better when a lot of minor plans come together.

I'm not sure how long the improvement goes on but I think mine is still improving after much use. Either the oven continues to improve or the operator gets better educated in using it.

Enjoy the results.
Steve, good to hear the oven can continue to improve. I already knew my oven management skills have lots of room for improvement. Bruce

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 08-10-2013, 10:34 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Attachment 38025

Gudday
Now ......That's A Hot Oven.....congrats ,you have achieved the sweet spot.
Regards dave
Thanks Dave, floor temp was about 570 F this am. Looking forward to developing my WFO skills.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Bruce
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-bruce.jpeg
Heres a bit of a line drawing of your oven to print out and draw on, colour in,
and play with as you which.....
regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 08-11-2013, 04:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Question Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Gudday Bruce
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-img_0706.jpg
Attachment is a firebrick brick which I have stained with some deck stain just to see if it would soak up a stain. Firebrick is "pretty ordinary" in colour but pretty porous and I was thinking perhaps the entrance could be coloured with some of that waterbased colour that you used in your stucco. This is just a seed of an idea at the moment.....is it colour fast? can it be sealed? I don't know its just an idea at this time.
I have never heard of anything like this being tried before..... but perhaps an experiment on a couple of firebrick off cuts? your off on Hols (again) so some samples can be left to wheather to see what happens?
Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 08-11-2013, 05:24 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Gudday Bruce
Attachment 38048
Attachment is a firebrick brick which I have stained with some deck stain just to see if it would soak up a stain. Firebrick is "pretty ordinary" in colour but pretty porous and I was thinking perhaps the entrance could be coloured with some of that waterbased colour that you used in your stucco. This is just a seed of an idea at the moment.....is it colour fast? can it be sealed? I don't know its just an idea at this time.
I have never heard of anything like this being tried before..... but perhaps an experiment on a couple of firebrick off cuts? your off on Hols (again) so some samples can be left to wheather to see what happens?
Regards Dave
Staining the firebrick is an interesting idea. Looks like the stain is taking in the pic you attached. If I pick up a stain to experiment with, any shade you would recommend? Bruce

Old 08-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Bruce
I was thinking of stuff you used to colour your stucco, its a liquid is it not? It would probably come exactly the same shade but near enough. One thing that might effect the final result could be any residue of mortar or lime might make the brick take up the stain unevenly. You might have to give the brick an acid wash and pressure spray.
Regards dave
Scotch likes this.

My Build

My Door

Old 08-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Gudday Bruce
I was thinking of stuff you used to colour your stucco, its a liquid is it not? It would probably come exactly the same shade but near enough. One thing that might effect the final result could be any residue of mortar or lime might make the brick take up the stain unevenly. You might have to give the brick an acid wash and pressure spray.
Regards dave
Actually, I used a terra cotta coloring at the lowest recommended amount (4 oz to 50 lbs cement mix. I doubt I could match color as a rub on without a lot of experimentation. Bruce

Old 08-11-2013, 06:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec1208 View Post
Actually, I used a terra cotta coloring at the lowest recommended amount (4 oz to 50 lbs cement mix. I doubt I could match color as a rub on without a lot of experimentation. Bruce
Gudday
So you have some left. And if you haven't thrown out any off cuts of firebrick experiment away and just see what happens. If the colour is different it will be a different tint (to white shade) or tone (to dark shades) but it should compliment the dome colour you already have.
4 oz to 50 lbs sounds pretty strong stuff to me . Wear some rubber gloves for sure
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Last edited by cobblerdave; 08-11-2013 at 06:52 PM.