Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

I second Dave on the curing, You've got a vent .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:06 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
I second Dave on the curing, You've got a vent .
Dave and Gulf, thanks. I'm looking forward to being able to fire up again.

Bruce

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 08-02-2013, 06:35 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday Bruce
Once dry I don't know what finish you have planned but if I could suggest go a matt. A shiney finish will only show up any imperfections matt finish will solften and leave less stark effect. And I not saying anything against you stucco skills any cement work will always be a bit stark.
Waiting for the recipes
Regards dave
I have been using Surface Bonding Cement mixed with a Silka fortifier (1:3 with water) to increase waterproofing. I also have been adding some Terra Cotta liquid cement color. I was originally trying for a light shade of terra cotta but with the grey cement mix it dried to a mocha color. We decided we liked the color and decided to go with it. Not sure what the finish coat would be. What is used for that?
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_94.jpeg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_95.jpeg  

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 08-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Apprentice

Bruce,
Yes, I have been working on a wfo for the last couple weeks. i am ready to top out the front arch and set the clay tile flue. i have posted some pics but need to post a couple more again.

Your trip out west sounds nice. Nothing like keeping the cooking skills honed. Keep us posted and send pics please.
jon
Old 08-02-2013, 01:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec1208 View Post
I have been using Surface Bonding Cement mixed with a Silka fortifier (1:3 with water) to increase waterproofing. I also have been adding some Terra Cotta liquid cement color. I was originally trying for a light shade of terra cotta but with the grey cement mix it dried to a mocha color. We decided we liked the color and decided to go with it. Not sure what the finish coat would be. What is used for that?
Gudday Bruce
No you don't need a top coat over that if you already have the colour in the stucco. And anything silka is always good stuff. I'm sorry I didn't pick it before but I had put it down to a dark sand and the colour reflecting of the overhead cover. If be interested to see the effect when it wheathers off in the sun it should look natural and earthy and take away the starkness of concrete look.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 08-03-2013, 01:14 PM
Journeyman

Added another layer today. Here is pic of my assistant and of the dome. Should have dome finished in a day or two.
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_96.jpeg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_97.jpeg  

Old 08-03-2013, 03:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Its looking good Bruce.....

Old 08-03-2013, 05:42 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Its looking good Bruce.....
Thanks Al, I appreciate the comment. Bruce

Old 08-04-2013, 04:42 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Bruce
I have had it on my mind all day on how I had missed the fact you had used a colour in you stucco. Yes you have a coloured cover and the stuccos wet and that has throw me a little. The Internet might be somewhat to blame. But still !
Anyway I work with colour , I talk about it in emotional terms to girls every day. But. And this is the big But.
17 per cent of all males are colour blind. That's roughly 1 in 5. Female are are about point 2 per cent. The girls talk about colour among themselves in emotional terms .... The blokes dress in browns and blue ... Cause they can't muck it up.
Getting a grey base and a mocca brown to match together is going to take a bit of a trick. And a we must bow to a greater power than you and I , the Wife,the minister of War Finance and all things that remain in our surrounds.
This is the colour palette I suggest.
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image.jpg
Now if course it's lost something on the Internet and that covers has infused the colours with the red tones. But you should get the idea.
A darker tone the dome , a match to the dome , lead to a match to the grey of the base and if you up to it a lighter tint of the base , or a colour to match the firebrick entrance . All in small tiles sitting on the base at the bottom of the dome.
Anyway this is my take on things ... It might be a cultural thing ... You might have other thoughts .... But we both know ultimately we will have to be guided by She Who Must Be Obeyed , and well that's a good thing
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 08-04-2013, 04:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
On secound thoughts ..... Thrown the rules to hell ... You live in the sub tropics ...do what you can with colour.
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image.jpg
This is my back ( and front door step)
Go red ..... No Scarlett
Regards
Dave

My Build

My Door