Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 05:20 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday Bruce

That looks like a great dome vent the wires a good idea. If I could just add a last suggestion. Roll up a tube of cereal box grade cardboard and poke it in the bottom long enough to get into the insulation layer. It will prevent any stray bit of stucco from blocking it and survive long enough for the stucco to set. It will be moist at that stage and easy to remove.
You then go to the skills suite list and tick the box along side "cement casting" ...only joking.
Regards dave
Dave you got me to thinking, any reason not to lower the vent a few inches into the insulation? It measures 7" thick at the top. This would lower the profile of the vent and I don't think have much effect on heat retention. I like the idea of the cardboard, thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Way to go Bruce, your hard work paid off!
Thanks Russell, hard to believe its almost done. Assuming the igloo looks okay, I would like to put some kind of roof structure that will cover the oven and the green egg while extending far enough forward to provide some shade and shelter while cooking or grilling.

Bruce

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 07-29-2013, 06:20 PM
Master Builder

Wow Bruce,
Just caught up on reading your about build. Job well done, very impressed. Hope your enjoying the fruits of your labor. You have left me in the your dust............that ok I'm happy for ya

KB

Old 07-29-2013, 06:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Bruce
I can't see why you can't recess that in , in the scene of things that will not make a difference. I a bit confused with the size of that thing , its not a fitting that I'm familiar with and its hard to gauge it size by the background.
Good stucco ing remember its like painting the first layer is just there for the next to stick too. It doesn't have to perfect. The next are the best ones. 3 thin coats are better than two thick coats .....any day.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 07-29-2013, 07:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Gudday Bruce
I can't see why you can't recess that in , in the scene of things that will not make a difference. I a bit confused with the size of that thing , its not a fitting that I'm familiar with and its hard to gauge it size by the background.
Good stucco ing remember its like painting the first layer is just there for the next to stick too. It doesn't have to perfect. The next are the best ones. 3 thin coats are better than two thick coats .....any day.
Regards dave
I had intended to use a 2" fitting to begin with. I decided later to use a 1". This is what mine looks like recessesd.

Edit: It is a 2"+ (beer can size) from the blanket insulation through the vermicrete layer. The space left by the beer can form is also packed with CF blanket material. My threaded 1" PVC fitting is anchored into the stucco layer and also the grout for the brick splits.

Last edited by Gulf; 07-29-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Question Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
I had intended to use a 2" fitting to begin with. I decided later to use a 1". This is what mine looks like recessesd.

Edit: It is a 2"+ (beer can size) from the blanket insulation through the vermicrete layer. The space left by the beer can form is also packed with CF blanket material. My threaded 1" PVC fitting is anchored into the stucco layer and also the grout for the brick splits.
Gudday gulf
Yes mines a 1 in fitting as well . I recon the chicken wire has thrown my perspective. How big is that thing anyway
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 07-29-2013, 10:08 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Gudday gulf
Yes mines a 1 in fitting as well . I recon the chicken wire has thrown my perspective. How big is that thing anyway
Regards dave
I went with a 3" fitting. I thought plug would be easier to handle and did not see a down side.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 07-29-2013, 10:09 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
Wow Bruce,
Just caught up on reading your about build. Job well done, very impressed. Hope your enjoying the fruits of your labor. You have left me in the your dust............that ok I'm happy for ya
Thanks, it helps not having a day job (or night job),

Old 07-30-2013, 01:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Lightbulb Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec1208 View Post
I went with a 3" fitting. I thought plug would be easier to handle and did not see a down side.
Gudday
Why don't you take a hacksaw to it,is there anything to stop you making it shorter? And use what you have got then
Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 07-30-2013, 12:30 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
You really shouldnt stucco in sections because that creates weak points and the layer will crack...think of it like a control joint in concrete flatwork. If its easier do several thin coats.
Stonecutter, I tried and I couldn't do it. This is as far as I could get.
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_89.jpeg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_88.jpeg  

Old 07-30-2013, 12:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Don't sweat it Bruce, I described best practice and what you did isn't too bad. You can brush some liquid bonding agent ( like an acrylic admix) onto it before you start your next parge.
Gulf likes this.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin