Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 04:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

You really shouldnt stucco in sections because that creates weak points and the layer will crack...think of it like a control joint in concrete flatwork. If its easier do several thin coats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 07-26-2013, 07:34 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
You really shouldnt stucco in sections because that creates weak points and the layer will crack...think of it like a control joint in concrete flatwork. If its easier do several thin coats.
Thanks, will be sure I'm rested before starting a layer. Made a small fire to test chimney, seems to be drawing fairly well. Thanks again for your help with the outer arch. Otherwise I would likely still be trying to work it out.
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_73.jpeg  

Check out my pictures here:

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 07-26-2013, 04:30 PM
Journeyman

Tonight is the night to try high temp pies. I have five 300 gm dough balls prepared and the oven is fired up and ready to go. Wish me luck.
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_75.jpeg  

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 07-26-2013, 05:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Don't need to wish you luck, with all your hard work you have made your own luck it seems. I think you have done well in curing your oven in the wet conditions you have had. It's rained here as well, not a week had gone by since Feb without rain. Ovens dry inside but the outer brickwork is damp. And you can't seal it till its dry off course. I attach a photo it's starting to grown moss so you see what I mean.
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image.jpg
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 07-26-2013, 06:10 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday
Don't need to wish you luck, with all your hard work you have made your own luck it seems. I think you have done well in curing your oven in the wet conditions you have had. It's rained here as well, not a week had gone by since Feb without rain. Ovens dry inside but the outer brickwork is damp. And you can't seal it till its dry off course. I attach a photo it's starting to grown moss so you see what I mean.
Attachment 37611
Regards dave
First ones out of oven.
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_76.jpeg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_77.jpeg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_78.jpeg  

Old 07-26-2013, 06:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks good Bruce. Glad to be of help, that's what it's all about.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 07-27-2013, 07:17 AM
Journeyman

I put the insulated door in about 9:30 pm. Temps from thermocouples read about 750F mid brick center of floor and 550F about 2/3 up the dome about a foot to the right of the entry. When I checked at midnight bricks were saturated and all read within a few degrees or 620F. This morning at 9:30 temps were 515F.

A few asides. I found I could use the insulated door during the heating process by rearranging the entry bricks. Finally here is a pic of my prep table. Turned out to be pretty cramped.
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_80.jpeg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_79.jpeg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_81.jpeg  

Old 07-29-2013, 07:25 AM
Journeyman

I took a Sicilian pizza and a Neapolitan pizza to a potluck Saturday and they were well received. Don't plan on firing the oven back up until stucco is done. Oven temp was 260 F this a.m. and we will cook a few casseroles today.

Have been trying to finish shaping and wiring dome. Prepared my vent plug and am just about done. May try to start stucco tomorrow. Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_86.jpeg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_87.jpeg  

Old 07-29-2013, 08:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Way to go Bruce, your hard work paid off!

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 07-29-2013, 01:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Bruce
Sounds like that ovens being used to its fullest. From the temps you have posted its starting to get to its best performance. I can't think of anyone that has arrived at this stage of the build and has had an insulated door already constructed! It just doesn't happen at this stage it's usually a flurry of questions on tools and doors ... I was the same.
That looks like a great dome vent the wires a good idea. If I could just add a last suggestion. Roll up a tube of cereal box grade cardboard and poke it in the bottom long enough to get into the insulation layer. It will prevent any stray bit of stucco from blocking it and survive long enough for the stucco to set. It will be moist at that stage and easy to remove.
You then go to the skills suite list and tick the box along side "cement casting" ...only joking.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door