Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 06:46 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
I was kinda hoping for a picture of that fig pizza when it came out of the oven!
Here's the best I have.
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_68.jpeg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 07-23-2013, 06:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks! Looks good. I haven't tried with fig slices like that before. I will have to fire one up this weekend.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:40 PM
Journeyman

Heavy rains today. Finally gave in and bought a pop-up canopy. It was on sale for $45.
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_69.jpeg  

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 07-24-2013, 06:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Money well spent, Bruce.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 07-25-2013, 02:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Money well spent, Bruce.
Gudday
I agree ..... Will be perfect cover over a fold up table for your outdoor kitchen
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 07-25-2013, 03:03 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday
I agree ..... Will be perfect cover over a fold up table for your outdoor kitchen
Regards dave
The canopy has come in handy with recent rains and as Dave points out should be useful after the oven is waterproofed.

Have been working on chimney and finished today. Looking forward to trying it out though will have to move canopy to do so. How much clearance is needed?

Will try to finish rounding dome and maybe work on bricking in the landing. We cooked the past few days with residual heat from Wenensday's fire. Did a pot of baked beans, a pasta casserole, a few baked potatoes, and used the oven to dry out some firewood. Temp right now is 212 F.
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_71.jpeg  

Old 07-25-2013, 04:15 PM
Apprentice

I wouldn't leave the canopy anywhere near the oven while firing. The nylon/plastic/canvas will burn and/or melt--guaranteed. When you watch the smoke coming out of the chimney during a firing you get a sense of how much heat is coming up that flue. As you noted during the "tarp incident", it doesn't take much to damage/melt any of those tarp & canopy materials. Also if/when the wind shifts, that hot stream of air will go laterally a lot farther than you think!

I had a nylon canopy over my build, but always moved it well off to the side during firing. Even at that I got several small holes in the material from sparks coming out of the stack...and that was with a spark arrestor cap in place. You might find that by moving the canopy away from the pad (sideways or to the back you can get it out of the chimney exhaust stream adequately and have it reasonably available when you're done and can slide it back. (I even wondered at one point if it would be worth it to put casters in plastic pipe and put them on the canopy legs for rolling the canopy around.)

No doubt the canopy is fabulous to keep the dome & front arch dry -- UNTIL you are firing the oven, then it's got to be moved away from the heat/smoke stream. Hate to have you find out how flammable it really is...
)

Photo albums

Last edited by SableSprings; 07-25-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Bruce
All coming together real nice! Noticed the doors finished too and looking very tidy with it metal handles. That chimneys a stunner as well. So a period of dry wheather and the stucco is done. Can't wait for the recipes
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 07-25-2013, 10:06 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SableSprings View Post
I wouldn't leave the canopy anywhere near the oven while firing. The nylon/plastic/canvas will burn and/or melt--guaranteed. When you watch the smoke coming out of the chimney during a firing you get a sense of how much heat is coming up that flue. As you noted during the "tarp incident", it doesn't take much to damage/melt any of those tarp & canopy materials. Also if/when the wind shifts, that hot stream of air will go laterally a lot farther than you think!

I had a nylon canopy over my build, but always moved it well off to the side during firing. Even at that I got several small holes in the material from sparks coming out of the stack...and that was with a spark arrestor cap in place. You might find that by moving the canopy away from the pad (sideways or to the back you can get it out of the chimney exhaust stream adequately and have it reasonably available when you're done and can slide it back. (I even wondered at one point if it would be worth it to put casters in plastic pipe and put them on the canopy legs for rolling the canopy around.)

No doubt the canopy is fabulous to keep the dome & front arch dry -- UNTIL you are firing the oven, then it's got to be moved away from the heat/smoke stream. Hate to have you find out how flammable it really is...
Pretty much what I thought. Wheels would sure make moving it easier. I hope to be able to fire up tomorrow. Thanks for your advice. I am curious to find out how hot the adapter plate will get. Bruce

Old 07-25-2013, 10:15 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday Bruce
All coming together real nice! Noticed the doors finished too and looking very tidy with it metal handles. That chimneys a stunner as well. So a period of dry wheather and the stucco is done. Can't wait for the recipes
Regards dave
Thanks, it does seem to be coming together. If the weather cooperates I'm going to try and fire it back up and make a few pizzas. Probably keep it simple while I learn to work the oven. I'm not sure how much of the dome I can render in one session. Can the dome be stuccoed in sections if needed?

I took the door to the metal fab place I had ordered the angle iron from to ask advice. They offered to finish it for $50.00. It looks good but there a lot of direct contact of the door with the metal pan so door quickly heats up. Otherwise door works well and even without a gasket gets a good seal on the entry. Bruce

Last edited by Bec1208; 07-25-2013 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Added comments about door